06 Golf Problem after rear caliper piston reset

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Volkswagen
Golf
1.4S

A couple of months ago someone did my rear brakes for me but didn't have the caliper reset too so removed the caliper and pushed then back in. Surprisingly this worked. However, the brakes must have been binding on as the pads are shot after just 2 months. So, I've just started to replace them again myself. I bought the calpier reset tool and managed to get the piston to retract so I could fit the pads. I did however notice that I must have slightly nicked the rubber thing (dust boot?) that folds up as you crack the piston in. I noticed that after this happened the piston seemed to wind in a lot easier.

My first question is does this affect the piston working other than keeping dust and dirt out?

Anyway, I decided that I'd put it back together and crack on with the job and when I got everything back together the brakes aren't right. The pedal goes all the way down even after pumping it 30-40 times and the piston isn't moving back out. The handbrake lever pulls all the way up now and also doesn't engage the piston. At no point has any brake fluid leaked so I can't imagine it could be that.

Is there something I've missed as part of the calpier reset? Does anyone have any ideas? I know some might say the piston is shot if it wasn't done right but how would it have been working to have killed the first set of pads if that was the case?

Sponsored Links
Time for a replacement caliper, I'm afraid - the damage was done when the piston was pushed back in - it must be rotated to engage with the screw thread that pushes the piston out in the first place.
The piston doesn't rotate when its operated, a thread inside it pushes the pads into contact with the disc when the foot or hand brake is used.
The dust seal failure would eventually give grief if its split - these pistons often need considerable pressure to get them moving, but once started they rotate and push back reasonably easily.
John :)

I think I might actually have been lucky. I used the rewind tool to crank it back a half turn as if to unwind it again, pumped the pedal and handbrake and it's nipped back down to how I would expect. Nice and free when no foot or hand brake applied and solid when they are. I've ordered the piston repair kit so I can replace the dust boot and the VW dealer said I'd be unlucky to need a new caliper when I finally got a hold of them this afternoon. I'm living in hope anyway as they're £150 each :confused:

I'd be really interested to hear how the job goes, and what the piston repair kit contains....do post back!

Sponsored Links
Well John... you were right!!

I got the piston repair kit from dealer which contained two dust boots and two gasket seals. Got the caliper out and when I finally got the piston to pop out the mechanism inside was mangled to bits. I think the other side was ok but got two calipers from Euro parts for the same price as one from dealer so thought it safest to just do both.

Sadly I feared this would be the case :( The internals of the caliper are pretty fragile compared with the rest of it.
I think I paid around the £90 mark for the last one I did - again from a motor factor.
Thanks for the post back - thats much appreciated! Just for the record, I reckon its best to clean these calipers out at least yearly to keep things sweet hand brake wise.

Back