toyota corolla '99 brake caliper problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today, I attempted replacing both discs and pads on my car today.

All was going well until I found that I couldn't put my caliper back on to the caliper mounting bracket. There is a caliper guide pin at both the top and bottom of the caliper mounting bracket. The top one springs in and out nicely but the bottom one is not budging at all.

Please see the pictures below, I've squeezed the top guide pin on the mount bracket to show what i mean.

The question is, what can I do now to resolve this?

Any help will be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Both these pins should move freely. Hold the siezed pin in a vice and work the mounting bracket back and forth until the pin is free to move.

As Stivino says, an application of WD40 may help, failing that remove the rubber gaiter and apply heat, once free, lubricate with either Molyslip or Coppaslip.

Wotan

Thanks guys,

I'll see what I can get done. For a moment I thought I'd have to get the whole thing new from the stealers.

Thanks again :)

Sponsored Links
Ok,

I had another go tonight and managed to get the rubber gaiter prized back and scraped away as much rust as possible.

I really can't understand how this rust has managed to build up when there is a rubber gaiter on and no sign of fault on the rubber gaiter. :eek:

Anyway, below are some more pictures of tonight's work.

It was getting dark and I didn't have a vice or any way I could apply heat. However, when I fastened the mounting bracket back to the front axle assembly I got an adjustable wrench and adjusted it to the guide pin. I turned it and managed to turn it, so I'm making progress albeit slowly.

I'm gonna purchase a vice tomorrow. I just hope I don't damage the kitchen worktop ;)

That looks pretty well rusted up to me and even when you free it it'll probably be too far gone to bother with. I'd go round the local scrappies and try to get a replacement.

Just thought I'd post back and let people know that I managed to get the pin out.

I used my brain (I didn't have a vice so I improvised), lots of WD40, brut force and a plier. :)

I found that it is a different pin to the other three... so I'll have to go to a backstreet scrapyard for another pin, otherwise it's working ok with new discs and pads for now.

Thanks for your help guys!

Back