Peugeot 206

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter has a Peugeot 206 HDI the tappets have become loud, well at least one of them has. What's the cure.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure its a tappet, mate?
Common noises from these are tensioner and water pump rattle, together with the bottom crank pulley breaking up. Its best to replace these with the timing belt.
John :)

John
TBH I haven't a clue where it's coming from.
Common noises from these are tensioner and water pump rattle, together with the bottom crank pulley breaking up. Its best to replace these with the timing belt.

:eek: Off to the garage again :rolleyes:

I've had a 206 diesel in recently (non turbo, don't know if it was Hdi or not) and this had a rattle from the tensioner on the auxiliary belt to the alternator and PAS pump......normally engine wise, these things are pretty quiet.

Sponsored Links
If the timing belt tensioner or water pump is worn, the timing belt flaps against the plastic cover causing a rattle. There ain't much room in there.....!

The case hardening failed on one of the cam followers on the old Peugeot I had a few years ago. The follower was worn to the shape of a threepenny bit instead of a nice smooth radius. The thing sounded like it was towing a dustbin up the road!

The HDI engine has hydraulic tappets which would take up any slack in adjustments. Noise could come from a malfuncunctioning injector but could also be the first signs of the bottom pulley starting to breakup. Get it checked ASAP because if it lets go, it can cause the cambelt to snap.

Sponsored Links
Back