Peugeot 306 rear suspension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son's elderly 306 was bumping along the road and handling horribly; the garage I took it to told me that it had a seized torsion bar bearing, that it would be truly dreadful to extract it, and that if I asked them to do it the labour cost could be around £300 (and I didn't think they were spinning me a line). With the other work the car needed it was beyond economic repair.

Back home I consulted the Haynes manual which said 'don't try this at home' or words to that effect. So I tried a local Peugeot breaker, who found me a replacement complete axle assembly for £90. Haynes gives the task of swapping the axle four spanners for difficulty, but I found the job went quite well. Ideally I would have liked a couple of helpers to fit the replacement assembly, but had to make do with a trolley jack and a couple of extra axle stands.

So the poor thing has been spared from the scrapyard for a little while longer. I thought I'd post the story here in case it helps someone else with the same problem.

Sponsored Links
Are you still round to explain what was included from the scrap yard?

Sponsored Links
Back