pH level too high in central heating system

Sponsored Links
The reason I am concerned is that on some of the cast iron rads I have noticed a small amount crusty discharge / deposit around some of the seals which worried me which is why I have been investigating this. These rads cost us a small fortune and replacing any of them is not an option at the moment.
I can understand your concern over the crusty seals - as the manufacturers mention seals in their literature re: pH levels. Of course get the pH close , But don't worry about the crust, it can be cleaned off - sometimes joints weep a tiny bit and leave the crust but they tend to self heal. I remember an old pipe fitter driving a piece of roofing slate into the edge of a screwed pipe joint that was weeping slightly. That sorted it ( the dies had been set too tight making a slightly loose thread )

Sponsored Links
Fernox MB-1 originally (same as F1 apparently) and then topped up with Adey MC1 last year, I understand that the system needs topping up regularly. I have been testing with some litmus paper.

The reason I am concerned is that on some of the cast iron rads I have noticed a small amount crusty discharge / deposit around some of the seals which worried me which is why I have been investigating this. These rads cost us a small fortune and replacing any of them is not an option at the moment.

To the OP, wwwebber....

I have a couple of Rads from the same company (the T&Cs you posted from their website are identical). They are only a year old and I have just noticed the same crusty white deposits around some of the seals/gaskets on both radiators.

I know this thread is a couple of years old but hoping that is actually perfect time past for me to ask what has happened since then... Did you just wipe off and all has been fine or did the Rads go on to develop leaks?

Many thanks!

Can you drain some inhibited water out of the system and top up with plain tap water?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back