Phone wiring in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of background

Lived in the house for 4 years, broadband speed always been slower than normal - 2mb would be on a very good day and also telephone line goes crackly for some periods of every month.

Putting the christmas decorations back in the loft and I stumbled across a junction block for the phone line. I saw that there was some pretty god awlful DIY bodge on it and wondered whether this could be the cause of my problem.

As it had already been hacked about by previous owner figured that BT would charge me to investigate whatever happened so chose to remove cover for quick look.

Current situation is:-

Two grey wires coming into it from black junction box outside the house on the eaves. The two grey wires go into two seperate connectors on a 4 way junction block.

On the out feeds from the junction box there are two four core cables-grey and a white ( Blue, Orange, Brown and Green.)

The white cable goes into the bedroom and has been cut and left bare in the back of the wardrobe. The other end is connected on the junction block with the Brown and Green wires on the seperate two connectors on the junction block, the orange and blue are bare in the box.

The grey cable is joined green to green and brown to brown with the other cable and then the orange and blue join to the grey incoming BT cable. This cable then goes down the outside wall striaght to the master socket and I have no other sockets in the house

Sorry for the ramble,it sounds like a mess and I'm sure from what I've read that the previous owner's spur is improper/illegal.

Question is, can a get rid of this wire that goes to the wardrobe and then return the junction box to as before with wire in from pole and then wire out to master socket, if so could you point me in the direction of the appropriate wiring diagram.

Many,many thanks as usual

Sponsored Links
Providing you only have one socket,
Disconnect the white cable and remake the termination with just the blue and orange (it makes no difference which way around) of the grey cable going downstairs to the socket,/Nte with the twin grey incoming wire.
Make shure the new terminatin is clean and dry and firm, as this is before the Nte it might be advisable to get rid completely of the bodged white 4 wire in the attic.
I dare say Bernard will fill you in on the dire consequences of fiddling with Bt gear before the Nte.

Two grey wires coming into it from black junction box outside the house on the eaves. The two grey wires go into two seperate connectors on a 4 way junction block.

Are these two grey wires in a single cable ? Were there ( are there ) other unused wires in the incoming cable ?

A photo would help.

with the Brown and Green wires on the seperate two connectors on the junction block, the orange and blue are bare in the box.

Is it a BT type connector ?

I read it that you have

BT A terminal 1 orange in grey
BT B terminal 2 blue in grey

brown in grey to brown in white Is this on a terminal
green in grey to green in white Is this on a terminal

This might have been two BT lines, one to dwoen stairs and one to upstairs that was later changed to one line to both up and down,

I dare say Bernard will fill you in on the dire consequences of fiddling with Bt gear before the Nte
Yes I will mention that tampering with the incoming cable and / or the demarcation point ( normally the NTE 5 ) is a breach of contract and can result in the telephone company cancelling the contract and service being dis-continued.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back