Pile of copper. What's it worth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. I've dismantled our old central heating and I'd like to try and get a few quid for the copper, if possible. Any guesses on around how much this would be worth? There's some 28mm in there, and a hefty pump (garuntee expired 1975), but the tank was stolen already, which is why this is now stashed in the cellar :)

Sponsored Links
Andy from Hertsdrainage will come round with his scales :mrgreen:

The tank (I assune you mean copper cylinder) was probably the bulk of the worth. I"d probably say a tenner for the rest.

Cheapest thing to do though, as a DIYer, is to re-use the pipe for the new heating system. It's going under the floorboards mainly I assume, so doesn't have to look pretty.

Sponsored Links
Cut all the fittings off and weigh it in separately there's a £100.00 ish

you only need to cut off the brass nuts/fittings/olives, soldered fittings either end feed or solder ring can stay on the pipes then you weigh it in as clean copper if you leave the brass fittings on then it goes as brazery, don't forget your driving licence or passport or you can't take it to the scrap yard anymore.

you only need to cut off the brass nuts/fittings/olives, soldered fittings either end feed or solder ring can stay on the pipes then you weigh it in as clean copper if you leave the brass fittings on then it goes as brazery, don't forget your driving licence or passport or you can't take it to the scrap yard anymore.

Not so you have to cut the soldered fitting off as well.

is this like that game where if ya guess the right amount ya win the lot? i say £9.87 :LOL:
ya can post me my winnings ;)

I used to take all the fittings off and weigh them in separately. I don't bother any more because I only get 10p/Kilo less when I leave them on.
throw the pump away and weigh that lot in as it is. They'll give you Braziery copper copper price for it which is shown here.
http://tinyurl.com/6fnhrvg
Last week I got £3.60/Kilo for braziery, the price for heavy copper was £3.70/Kilo.

Probably chuck it all in at the lower price in that case. I'll guarantee they ain't paying for heavy copper.

And I bet you'd get 10-15% more at my local if it was clean.

Give them a call and ask how much for clean heavy copper. you may get a shock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back