Pilot flame going out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old very simple gas glow worm boiler. This year it has started to give a problem when the pilot flame has gone out. First thought was the thermovoltic unit that shuts down pilot flame may have been faulty so it was changed.
Fault still happens. But then I realised it also happens while the burner is on not as first thought when it was in stand by mode.
I can re-light the pilot and it will fail a few times in a row. It may take 1/2 hour to get the pilot re-lit and to stay lit. Then run another 2 months without a fault.
This summer I want to get it fixed for next year but I can't see how anyone will be able to locate such an intermittent fault.
Has anyone any suggestions as to how to find what is going wrong?

Sponsored Links
When you say you had the thermovoltic unit changed, do you mean the multifunctional control gas valve, or just the thermocouple?

We dont know about your boiler but if it has an overheat stat between the thermocouple and the gas valve then this may be dropping too much voltage.

The thermocouple will produce about 20 mV open circuit and this drops to about 11 mV across the gas valve coil.

The pilot flame may be too small and a CORGI will clean and adjust this.

The meter regulator may be sticking or the pilot flame may be getting blown out when the main gas ignites but that seems unlikely in your case as it can go out during non operation periods.

Tony
G8ABQ

My first port of call would be to blow through the pilot injector with my compressor.

(I hate to ask, but WTF is G8ABQ)

Sponsored Links
Just to add to Dave's mysteries, the OP is GM7MGW !

He has a nice picture on his profile too!

Thank you your answers also as soon as I posted it came you will links to similar faults. And I only changed thermocouple and reading is seems the gas valve may be at fault so it is clear path to get to the boiler and get a gas fitter out in the summer to change valve. It has done what I wanted it has shown the way forward.

Thanks GW7MGW Ex VP8XBHZ, VP8BKM and VR2ZEP

Eric

I did not realise it was a ham radio site!

(I hate to ask, but WTF is G8ABQ)
Well it did take some time to work out what "WTF" was not in my list QLS?
Well G8ABQ is an English call sign and as 3 letters after the number I think it would be issued to some one without a CW pass cert. My apologies if wrong! I am not sure of date but early as G7 was 1991 and before that G1 so I will guess around 1940's All my call sign's are British VP8XBHZ was a special 2 meter call sign issued when my QRA was the Falklands and valid only for freq 145.000 to 145.800Mhz then VP8BKM was a full Falklands call sign and allowed 2 meter 144.000 to 148.000 with spot freq of 143.750 repeater in and 148.250 repeater out. As well as all HF freq. Then VR2ZEP was only for the upper part of the band when QRA was Hong Kong where there was not 70cm and GW7MGW is for my QTH in Wales hence first W in call sign. Please note the Q code is an aid to communications and is published in most maritime radio books even if CW is no longer required. But I think there may be a problem with "WTF" and still refrain from using any words which may be offensive to other? Do remember to swear is to utter under oath and so does not describe words or phrases which could be offensive to other!

I hope you will see this in jovial way it is intended.

PS
QRA address at time of speaking
QTH home address
QSL I have or have you received and understood.
CW Continuous Wave i.e. Morse code.
73 Best wishes

73 Eric

I am surprised that you are not familiar with G8 callsigns!

They were issued for UHF use initially and did not need a morse cert. Later extended for 144 Mhz and when morse was abolished not all that long ago, they were extended to all bands and now rank pari passu with all other callsigns. My G8 call was issued not too long after G3PEG.

Amateur radio was suspended when war was declared in 1939 and only restored a while after war ceased in Europe, possibly about 1948.

Tony

They were issued for UHF use initially and did not need a morse cert. Later extended for 144 Mhz and when morse was abolished not all that long ago, they were extended to all bands and now rank pari passu with all other callsigns. My G8 call was issued not too long after G3PEG.
sin sin :cry:

PS
QRA address at time of speaking
QTH home address
QSL I have or have you received and understood.
CW Continuous Wave i.e. Morse code.
73 Best wishes
PPS: 88 Love & Kisses

Found a plumber who seemed to know what he was doing to reduce the flame some adjustment on gas valve and since then no more problems.

I had forgot I had even posted.

As to G8 call signs I was assured G8NT who I knew was a full call sign and only the 3 letter call signs were original restricted.

The VP8 had something similar with X call signs so VP8XP would be HF but VP8XBHZ (My old one) was special 2 meter so I changes to VP8BKM which was HF.

73 Eric

Broadsword calling Dannyboy, Broadsword calling Dannyboy

Come in Daannyboy

FGAU, WATP, TGAITU

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back