glow worm pilot lit but no main flame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just like some advice so I know a bit about whats happening when I get a gas bloke round.

Got a glow worm ultimate 50ff, looks old (I've been here 5 years so obviously older than that). Pilot lights OK and stays lit but no main flame. Any ideas? Things I should be looking for?

cheers

Pete

Sponsored Links
oo thats quick! no. Just a click a thud and a couple of clicks and then the sound of the fan (I think) - sounds as normal, not that I sit and listen to it normally.

pete

Sponsored Links
Check for power to the main solinoid on the gas valve if the ignition has stopped sparking and the pilot is light. if you are getting power to both solenoids then gas valve could be Kaputen!

Check for power to the main solinoid on the gas valve if the ignition has stopped sparking and the pilot is light. if you are getting power to both solenoids then gas valve could be Kaputen!

thats where i as going super, but i was assuming its the old gas valve withthe solenoids at the back and a bit of a sod to get to, and the OP is going to call an RGI to do it, so I was trying to keepit simple

:)

no sparks that I can see. Wouldn't know where the solenoid is, o rhow to test the power, (though I've been browsing through ye ancient manual that was left here when I moved in).

cheers
Pete

so whats the logic there - though I guess if no gas is getting through the gas valave would be logical. Obviously you havent seen it but what ballpark for costs/time are we in? or are we bordering on new boiler time?

Pete

the logic is that the PCB has rectified the pilot light and is sending voltage to the gas valve but the main solenoid is not opening and thus your boiler is not firing up

I Have no idea how much it will cost in your area but if its the old gas valve there is some modification to fit the new gas valve but would say that wouldnt take longer than an hour

and you are miles away from a new boiler, Ultimates are great boilers much better than the tat that has to fitted these days

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back