Pilot light wont light even with match.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a glow worm 60 mk11 boiler and I cant get it to relight.

It went out yesterday, and now it wont re light. I took the cover off to see if I could light the pilot with a match (have done this before).. but this time, when I hold down the pilot button.. no gas comes out.

The gas supply is on so what else would stop the boiler from letting gas through?

Thanks
Amit

Sponsored Links
Things you shouldn't be messing with :)

Get someone competent to service it.

yeah I know.. but I want a shower!

It was serviced not long ago.. and I will get someone out..

Just want to know what could be wrong with it.

Amit

I dont believe you!

The Yellow pages and Thomsons are full of CORGI registered gas engineers waiting to rush out to sort it out for you!

You just have to call them ( and then put your hand in your pocket! ).

Why do you want to risk your life and that of your family and neighbours?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Pilot injector blocked, or gas valve knackered :rolleyes: Both jobs for RGI's ;)

Agile said:
I dont believe you!

The Yellow pages and Thomsons are full of CORGI registered gas engineers waiting to rush out to sort it out for you!

You just have to call them ( and then put your hand in your pocket! ).

Why do you want to risk your life and that of your family and neighbours?

Tony

I dont care what you believe.

I have a corgi registered plumber who has recently serviced the boiler and also previously replaced the thermocouple.

I have no intention of replacing any part myself.. but I am the type of guy who likes to know what is going on so I dont go into a situation blind.

I dont want a plumber coming out and saying I need a new boiler when all he needs to do is stick a pin in the pilot light hole or change a gas valve.

Amit

Amit said:
It went out yesterday, and now it wont re light. I took the cover off to see if I could light the pilot with a match (have done this before).. but this time, when I hold down the pilot button.. no gas comes out.

That sounds to me like someone who has tried ( rather dangerously ) to fix it himself!

Not someone who is going to call a CORGI !

If you had it serviced then why dont you call him back ? Its probably only a minor problem which would be covered by servicing. It should have been left able to relight easily after the service.

Tony

There is a difference between lighting a pilot and starting to pull it apart.

Changing the thermocouple is a very easy job too, but I still got the plumber to do it.

Anyway the guy is booked and is coming out.

Amit

Agile said:
Amit said:

That sounds to me like someone who has tried ( rather dangerously ) to fix it himself!

Not someone who is going to call a CORGI !

If you had it serviced then why dont you call him back ? Its probably only a minor problem which would be covered by servicing. It should have been left able to relight easily after the service.

Tony

what a lot of rubbish you write sometimes tony :rolleyes:

Well the guys have just been and gone..

And guess what..

He took of the pilot light, gave it a quick poke with a bit of fuse wire, then gave it the good news with the air duster and job done :)

So I was right ;)

All working a treat now.. just need to save up so they can replace the boiler with something a little more modern.

Amit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back