Pilot staying lit constantly so boiler won't fire up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have trawled previous questions for an answer but can't find one. I have a Potterton Prima 100F boiler. (conventional) It is 15yrs old, but has been serviced annually. It has had an intermittent fault since September. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - it's totally random and makes no difference whether it's hot water, ch or both. It usually fires up when the clock comes on and sometimes works for a few hours, even days. However sometimes at the end of one of it's cycles, the pilot stays on and therefore it cannot recommence another cycle of fan, pilot, firing up etc. When this happens I may get heat (and water) for about 5 minutes and then that's it for a few days, when suddenly it springs back to life. My service engineer already replaced the gas control valve kit (that made no difference) so I'm a bit reluctant to throw any more unnecessary money at it. I suspect the electronics (ie. circuit board)but has anyone got any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
Yes, pcb, seems to suffer from cracked and dry joints, you could try fixing it, if your ok with a soldering iron, I've had three of these this week.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back