Pine Banister and Spindles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter has had a new bannister and spindles fitted on the staircase, and asked me if i could paint them for her.

She would like the spindles painted white and the bannister and lower rail stained/varnished.

How do i prep for both, and how many layers of paint/varnish do i need to apply??

and which products do you recommend??

Many Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Yes it is totally bare wood,

I am going to use Satinwood for paint, do i need to knot and prime, if so how many coats??

Make sure it's sanded down smooth then yes give the knots a treatment then you will need to prime then undercoat using either water based or oil based to match the satan.
As for the varnish/wood stain make sure you are certain on which you wish to use. But of work to change it If you don't like it.
Personally i would go for a clear Matt varnish, you could buy a baton of pine and do some testers if you wanted to

Sponsored Links
No preference for me on undercoat, go for a good brand such as johnstones, crown etc, I do like the crown satin but it does dry very quick, try to find something water based but with a longer drying time dulux satinwood is a slower drying one.
When you go to paint the spindles work on one or two at a time to make sure you keep a wet edge on the paint.
Also if you choose a varnish go for oil based, you don't need to knot treat any varnished areas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back