Pipe diameter and isolating valves for combi shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, will be installing a shower next week and will be using a thermostatic mixer(combi compatible) which has 15mm inlets for hot and cold.

I presume that I'll be ok using 15mm pipe throughout to plumb this in but someone advised me that I must use 22mm pipe as per bath or flow will be poor.

If this is the case, do i need to use 22mm pipe and then fit reducers at the mixer? Can't see that this would make any difference though. From what i can gather, 22mm is necessary when using a gravity fed system.

Also, i presume that it is a good idea to fit isolating valves on the hot and cold supply to the shower. Is it best to use inline or gate type valves?

Many thanks, Chris.

Sponsored Links
These will do.
p1066545_l.jpg

15mm will be fine.

A straight 15mm for both hot and cold feed is sufficient. Combi boiler should provide adequate pressure. Be selective with your shower head. Some shower head specify higher bpi.
Shut off/isolation is a good option on both feed. This will make any maintenance work a lot easier. In-line value will do the job.

Depending on your water pressure or flow rate, you might want to think about paying extra for full bore isolators. cost a couple of quid for 15mm ones. opposed to 69p

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back