pipe insert for the old black MDPE - where can I get one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have found that MDPE pipe inserts that fit 20mm MDPE water supply pipe are loose in black pipe from the 1980s. Please does anyone know where I can buy the correct size insert?
I have found that the black pipe will fit into a 20mm blue fitting, because the external diameter it is only slightly larger than the blue pipe; however, the internal diameter of the black pipe is larger than in the 20mm blue, hence the need for a slightly larger diameter insert.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If your talking about what was referred to as 1/2 inch alkathene it came in 2 wall thickness class C and class D
Class C quite easy just use short end of 15mm copper .
You just use 22mm compression fittings with olives for 3/4 copper.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If your talking about what was referred to as 1/2 inch alkathene it came in 2 wall thickness class C and class D
Class C quite easy just use short end of 15mm copper .
You just use 22mm compression fittings with olives for 3/4 copper.
Thanks for your reply. It must be Class C then, I think. It did have a short length of 15mm copper pipe inserted at the end of the pipe where it connected to the brass stop-cock in the house. It was held in place by the copper compression olive. However, would a bit of 15mm copper still be okay as an insert when using a MDPE plastic compression fitting? Of course there is no lip to stop it moving, so it may not stay in the correct position at the end of the pipe?
I am cutting the black pipe underground in the garden and connecting 2 new blue 20mm MDPE lengths of pipe to enter the house at a different point and to feed an outside toilet. Is it okay to use a blue 20mm tee fitting, with the black pipe in one end and 2 blue pipes leading off?

Last edited:
22mm copper pipe?

Andy
15mm copper pipe is a reasonabe fit (slightly loose, but not as loose as a pipe insert meant for a 20mm blue pipe). However, will this be okay to use where the pipe is inserted into a plastic compression tee?

Daft question, but is there an existing fitting there form the insert to be reused?

Daft question, but is there an existing fitting there form the insert to be reused?
Not a daft question at all. Yes, a short length of 15mm copper pipe had been used where the pipe was connected to a brass stop-cock. However, I was not sure if this would still be okay when using a plastic compression fitting.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
If you get a small ball peen hammer very easy to put a flange on end of a bit of 15mm copper. Made loads of inserts back in day.
That sounds like a good idea; I just need to find someone who has a suitable hammer I can borrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back