Pipe insulation question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
I am installing a cooker hood in the kitchen. My problem (potentially) is that the 150mm hole I’ll have to make in the outside wall is within an inch of two 22mm central heating pipes.

The problem being is that of ensuring those pipes are sufficiently insulated, although there will, of course, be a flexible foil pipe connecting the hood to the vent, it will still get cold. My question then is, would standard foam pipe insulation, as sold in Screwfix, be sufficient insulation? What degree of protection from freezing would that offer?

Sponsored Links
All non heat emitting surfaces are supposed to be insulated anyway as they are uncontrolled heat sources. Also i doubt internal pipes would freeze just because they're close to a duct. Unless you liklve in the Arctic.
But even so I'd be worried about severe condensation buildup on the foil pipe a long time before i worries about freezing. You can get duct insulation to prevent that, a rockwool mat with a foil vapour barrier on the outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back