Pipes into gulley

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there..

I recently posted about fitting pipes into a gully grid to aim water into the drain better.

Ive looked into doing the job today and realised that the current grid is 9" square and cast iron... Ive looked online and all the 9" ones seem to be cast iron.

Essentially I want to pass the pipes into the drain. At the moment they sit above, and the water bounces off the grid running along my kitchen wall and has caused damp through the wall.

Ive attached a picture to help explain how it looks now. Ive had a few ideas and wondered which is best. Is removing the grid an option?? extending the pipes into the drain further to get the water in there and covering the whole thing with a black plastic leaf cover? or would sitting the pipes directly onto the grid be a better option? Ive cleared the stones out of the grid in the hope it makes the water flow through it a little better, but don't know how much difference it will make. Ive also re-fitted the larger downpipes back into the bracket.

With both options Im going to build a surround (the concrete ones Ive seen aren't big enough to go around the gully) and put a slate splash back against the wall, as suggested on here.

IMG_0631.JPG

Sponsored Links
Hi there..

I recently posted about fitting pipes into a gully grid to aim water into the drain better.

I

Ive attached a picture to help explain how it looks now. Ive had a few ideas and wondered which is best. Is removing the grid an option?? extending the pipes into the drain further to get the water in there and covering the whole thing with a black plastic leaf cover?
That's the way to go(y) OR eMail [email protected] They have 9 inch alloy ones ( due in at the end of July ) for under a tenner.

Last edited:
You could cut a section of the grid out with a grinder to get the pipes through.

Sponsored Links
Clearing the stones out of the slots in the grid may have helped but I'd extend the pipes and cut a slot out of the grid.

I'd cut the grid with a hacksaw and extend the pipes.

Is the downpipe for rainwater, or does the bathroom wastes discharge into a hopper above? Sink waste needs to go through the grid, if the bigger pipe is just carrying rainwater, then there's less likelihood of the remainder or the grid blocking up.

Fit gulley surround, and slate to all as mentioned, and make good around gulley with some decent strong mortar, shouldn't be an issue then. Make a cover from a bit of waterproof ply to cover the whole thing if you need to prevent leaf ingress.

Whoever altered the position of the rwp,should get a yellow card (y) and asked to clean the gully :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back