Pipework for Vaillant 418 Ecotec

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can someone try to help me with a new boiler installation problem please.

An old Potterton MF boiler has been replaced with a Vaillant ecotec 418 - System is open vent. New boiler installed -fires up then shuts down within 20 seconds. It has been installed by a gas safe registered friend without experience of this particular product. So having spoke with the tech support guys at Vaillant they say there is a 'pipework problem' given the symptoms we gave. Suggested the obvious -flow and return reversed but this has been checked and is ok , however when told that the old boiler had a return and flow and pumped return connection and that we had teed the return pumped return to the boiler he said -definitely a pipe problem not a boiler problem. I think he maybe correct but not sure where to start..thanks for any help in advance

Sponsored Links
You mean you had gravity hot water and pump heating before?

The Potterton Kingfisher MF had three connection on the back.

Post pictures of the installation.

Has a new 6m head pump been fitted? Or one of those daft energy efficient ones?

You mean you had gravity hot water and pump heating before?

The Potterton Kingfisher MF had three connection on the back.

Post pictures of the installation.

Has a new 6m head pump been fitted? Or one of those daft energy efficient ones?

Yes Dan, that is correct -gravity hot water and pump heating before. No new pump fitted -existing Grundfos (2 months old) only pump on system. T

Photos to follow shortly

Hi Dan

album created with two images - no idea how I get them to this posting.

first hurdle failed..Terry

Sponsored Links
Surely he cannot pipe it up wrong it is simple. What status display do you get when it shuts down? You sure the gate valves are opened up on the pump. How many MV (motorised valves have you got). Maybe these are wired incorrectly. Has the bleed and purge program been run?

Come to think of it I would be getting a real person in to install as it is a basic system to install, only prerequisite is a very clean system that makes it any different to anything else unless you start getting the micro-firing issue. Not sure if the latest 4xx come with the revised PCB's

Surely he cannot pipe it up wrong it is simple. What status display do you get when it shuts down? You sure the gate valves are opened up on the pump. How many MV (motorised valves have you got). Maybe these are wired incorrectly. Has the bleed and purge program been run?

Come to think of it I would be getting a real person in to install as it is a basic system to install, only prerequisite is a very clean system that makes it any different to anything else unless you start getting the micro-firing issue. Not sure if the latest 4xx come with the revised PCB's

there is a F22 code - , all gates valves checked open, one 3 port valve -y plan - wired as per Valliant specs -pump direct to PCB- S/L to term 4 with link removed. Bled, System was power flushed last week, Magna Clean fitted. Valliant guys say the fact that is stays fired for such a short period (15-20secs) strongly indicates a pipework issue.

What pump is it and are you sure the service valves are all open?

Dan

Grundfos Pump 15/60 is fitted fairly new, started it on low speed and increased to second & third - still no success. all valves are opened checked numerous times as I begin to doubt everything too -, Photos should be viewable, not much to see though - Terry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back