Pipework question??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My friend is organising for new heating pipework in a church (replacing old single pipe cast iron pipework). The plumber is proposing carbon steel pipes, this sound expensive, but it may be the norm? Obviously they don't want to be copper as the majority of pipes will be visible.

Also are carbon steel pipes black (or darkish) in colour?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
My friend is organising for new heating pipework in a church (replacing old single pipe cast iron pipework). The plumber is proposing carbon steel pipes, this sound expensive, but it may be the norm? Obviously they don't want to be copper as the majority of pipes will be visible.

Also are carbon steel pipes black (or darkish) in colour?

Thanks

It's normally used with Pressfit fittings, tell him not to use a Pressfit fittings system. Spec should be medium steel pipe screw and socket, with MI fittings. It'll last 100 years, gawd knows if the 'O' rings on Pressfit fittings will last???!!!

Someone is being a bit posh. This is I think ordinary screwed steel pipework, more commonly known in the trade as black iron. As said, there are now lots of other joining methods as well as screwed fittings.

Carbon Steel pipe is silverish in colour and we're selling tons of it to mech services guys for heating systems.

BTW, Pressfit was the brand name for Yorkshire's crimp system.
It's now called XPress.

Systems are available from Yorkshire, Sanha, Mannesman and various others. It's the way forward where heat-free working is required.

Sponsored Links
Carbon Steel pipe is silverish in colour and we're selling tons of it to mech services guys for heating systems.

BTW, Pressfit was the brand name for Yorkshire's crimp system.
It's now called XPress.

Systems are available from Yorkshire, Sanha, Mannesman and various others. It's the way forward where heat-free working is required.

Screw & socket is the only way Charn mate, these 'O' rings fittings are cr.p.

IYHO maybe.
Carbon Steel comes with a 10 year (up to 30 years for copper and SS) guarantee. We've not had one complaint of a failed joint.....yet. We've been flogging XPress (Pressfit as it was then) since it came out years ago.

It is very unlikely to be cast iron.

Depending on the size and spec, but screwed black steel pipe is probably what you have existing and the best replacement.

You can buy medium or heavy, heavy would be my choice, then prime it with red ozide and paint it whatever colour to suit.

Why you are replacing the pipework is another question. ?

The existing single pipes are shot at, unbelievably. There are leaks under the floors and the heating system is currently not in use. I'm unsure how long its been installed, but it has done well maybe 60 years plus perhaps.

Is anyone able to provide a web link so I can see what the carbon steel pipework looks like, I've been told its a darkish silver i.e. not fully silver to look at

Thanks

Hi,

You need to get more information from the guy, and a sample along with a plan and specification of the work.

Screwed and socketed steel tube, would be my choice in a church where the heating may be on less than normal.

a few samples.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ca...jjMG1BQ&ved=0CH4QsAQ&biw=1285&bih=907[/QUOTE]

Oh yes, fire up the MIG or the Oxy/Act & screwing machine, now your talking DIA.................Real mans work, not these poofy crimp fittings!!!
Oh how I long for the times that you'd be welding in the Boiler House for days on end.

You never know DIA, it could be old Greenhouse CI pipes, still a few Churches & Chapels around here with these systems.

Is anyone able to provide a web link so I can see what the carbon steel pipework looks like, I've been told its a darkish silver i.e. not fully silver to look at

The pipe is black. If you cut it, you will see bright, silver steel, but the exposed surface will corrode. The finished pipe installation needs to be painted; it's usually done with a red oxide paint, but then the pipes would usually be insulated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back