Pipework through loft space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an odd situation. I live in a 1st floor maisonette with our own garden at the back of the house. All of the plumbing for the house is at the front but I would like to fit an outside tap to the back of the house for watering the garden. I can't run pipework through the house without ripping up the floors (not an option!) so my only alternative would be to run some pipework up into the loft, over the lounge space and then down the back wall to a tap.

My concern is that if the pipes leak for any reason, where do I stand from an insurance point of view? Does anyone have any ideas or opinions on this? I appreciate it's far from an ideal solution but is it acceptable? Obviously in winter time the pipe would have to be drained so it doesn't freeze.

Thanks for any help!

cheers,
James.

Sponsored Links
Running pipework through lofts is common practice, make sure its well insulated, and if its drained through the colder months then that reduces any risk of freezing and bursts. I cant see as this pipe leaking would be any different to any other leak in the flat, downstairs will get wet if its not discovered in time! If you are in any doubt, contact your insurer.

Permission would have to be given by the freeholder for this work I would imagine. Are you able to fix pipework and a tap to the wall of the downstairs flat? Outside tap at 1st floor level wouldn't be very practical unless you are either very tall or water the garden on stilts.... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back