Running pipework for WC into loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to fit a toilet in my converted loft.

The pipes I found in the loft I was hoping were H & C water are central heating pipes!

I need to run Hot & Cold Water into the loft space. Should I just connect to the nearest supply (taps for the 1st floor bath?).

I also need to run the soil pipe. Again the nearest on is in the 1st floor bathroom below where I am fitting the toilet. Can I run into this horizontal pipe vertically?

Jon

Sponsored Links
If both hot and cold are off the main then you should be ok. If however you have tank fed water you might need a pump.
Sorry, but i dont do drainage.

Are you asking if you can drop down from the loft to connect inside the property with the bathroom soil pipe?

Where is the external soil stack in relation to the loft proposed WC?

Hi

Thanks,

Hot water is pressurised so will be ok to use i think.

Yes there is a WC that is on the floor below about 4m away. That toilet is connected to a soil pipe under the floor. Can I connect 2WCs to the same branch?. This would meaning running a pipe horizonally in the loft space and then straight down to connect to the soil pipe next to the existing WC below.

The soil stack is on the OS wall opposite where I will be fitting the WC upstairs I could run a pipe straight out to it but it would emerge through or just below the sofit which might look a bit strange, is that allowed?

Our neighbour had builder do a similar job on thier house which is the same as ours they ran the soil pipe down the corner of a bedroom then out through the wall and connected it to the OS soil stack. I want to avoid running soil pipe through a bedroom.

Regards,

Jon

Sponsored Links
Think it would be preferable to connect directly to the stack rather than a horizontal branch serving an existing WC. Connecting to the branch could possibly cause an issue with the existing WC when the WC on the floor above was flushed.

Dont see an issue with taking the pipe out through (or just below) the soffit providing it doesn't compromise the structure of the roof. When planning the new soil pipe run it may be as well to note that Building Regs advise against bends in the 'wet part' of a stack unless unavoidable.

Whichever way you decide remember to factor in an appropriate fall on the pipework!

Hi Thanks,

I've had a better look

Can I take the stack through the soffit into the roof connect the toilet in the roof space and vent the stack out of the roof?

Jon

No minimum distance as far as i'm aware, just ensure the end of the ventilating section is correct distance away from any planned windows.

Hi,

Sorry must have edited my post while you were typing that one!

The fall is 18mm per meter as far as I can tell reading the regs am I right?

Jon

The fall can be reduced to 1:100 under certain circumstances, 1:40 would provide 25mm per m, the modern smooth bore plastic pipework allows that to be reduced slightly.

For a single pan though i'd suggest a minimum of 1:80 or 12.5mm per m, otherwise you may have problems.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back