PIR controlled Cat deterrent - what would you fit ....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK perhaps just for fun, but I have recently noticed that after getting the trench dug for my shed power supply the local cats and more than likely my own 2 ! ( or more accurately my wifes 2 cats :) ) have been using the now bare flower bed that the trench was dug through as a toilet, as you can imaging this has filled me with much joy.

I now have an outside power point right next to this flower bed. Having just installed a new PIR controlled floodlight I figured that a strategically positioned PIR could be used to control an anti cat device , that would persuade the local felines to go a do their business elsehwhere.

But what type of device to use. Feel free to be creative I am happy to consider both realistic practical & doable ones , and also comedy 'dream solutions' i.e. An electrically triggered machine gun.

Basically these puddy tats need to know that stepping onto my flower bed will mean pain, surprise, and misery for them. Although I draw the line at actually killing or permanently maiming both mine and my neighbours pets.

Sponsored Links
You can get made up ones with built in pir, they give off a signal you cant here but the cat does, they are extra low voltage but the plug in power supply has to be inside though.
You see them in gardening mags, etc,afaik

333rocky333 means one of these, other brands are available

this one also runs on batteries, but there is no g'tee they are any good

Spare a thought for young people such as me, I can hear them very clearly, annoying they are!

Sponsored Links
Not as annoying as the keeping of predators as pets.

If you had a dog, and you allowed it to run wild, getting into peoples' gardens, killing wild life and defacating in their flowerbeds you'd collect an ASBO.

Why is it OK to allow cats to do that?

I'm 22. I can hear these bloody things. Someone on my street has one. I'm going to go and shove it up his anus when I find out who.

On a similar vein, convenience stores often have a device outside their front door that emits a high pitched noise, the same as the cat deterrents, to deter youths from congregating there. The younger you are, the higher pitched frequencies you hear. :D (But there are noise pollution laws that state these devices must only be used for 20 minutes at a time, with a long break. Surely the same should apply to the cat deterrents)

Not as annoying as the keeping of predators as pets.

If you had a dog, and you allowed it to run wild, getting into peoples' gardens, killing wild life and defacating in their flowerbeds you'd collect an ASBO.

Why is it OK to allow cats to do that?

+1

I'd install a small shelter and kit it out with a decent .303 with night sight.
Alternatively, run electric fencing - that'll sort out Pussycat Willums :LOL: (anyone remember him??)

I made a device up years ago for a colleague whose Koi were being taken.
Basically a PIR was linked to a solenoid valve which was incorporated into a garden hose with a flattened rose at the end. the sudden spray of pressurised water was enough to scare the bejasus out of the offending cats, he just had to remember to turn it off when tending to the fish ;) a few years later I saw a comercially available kit which bared a distinct resemblance to my idea and wondered if he had taken out a patent on it :evil:

A bit cruder looking, it used a squashed brass rose so you got a wide spray and was quite effective in range a good 15ft+ hence why he had to be careful in switching it off as he had got caught a few times by it :LOL:
the solenoid valve was off a smoke machine.

I've decided to get one of them jet spray thingies that you attach to a hose pipe, they look good fun and are battery operated.

If any of my two cats come in looking wet and bedraggled when the weather is dry and fine outside then i'll know it is them and give them a good thrashing too....

I bought a couple in the hope they would sort out my heron problem...they didn't.

But cats and dogs do set them off at quite a good range - and in a sad sort of way, it's quite entertaining to watch :LOL:

Fit one of these...

psycho-dog.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back