PIR underfloor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi- I'm looking to install PIR between joists on ground floor to insulate.

My plan was to screw battens to side of joists for PIR to sit on but was thinking I could screw batten at horizontal to joist from the underneath for it to sit on. This would require far less batten as could use 4 or 5 across the entire room width, and I can use thicker PIR.

Otherwise it's two battens on every joist.

Anyone done something similar? And what did you use?

(I was also thinking maybe an edging profile instead of battens if I did the each joist route)

Sponsored Links
You could screw roof battens at 90° to joists, these are around 25x50mm.
If the insulation is cut tight, the battens would be a bit reassurance, but probably not necessary.
I put a building paper on top of the joists/insulation stapled onto joists, then wood floorboards.

What flooring are you intending to do?

You could screw roof battens at 90° to joists, these are around 25x50mm.
If the insulation is cut tight, the battens would be a bit reassurance, but probably not necessary.
I put a building paper on top of the joists/insulation stapled onto joists, then wood floorboards.

What flooring are you intending to do?
Thanks- reassurance what I'm after as I suspect they will move over time! What you've said is what I was thinking about doing as less battens so that's great, just wanted to check I'd not missed something (recognising space underneath to actually do it may be tricky!)

There's an overlay UFH going on top

I was debating just putting the floorboards that are coming up on the underside to support

Sponsored Links
You don't need battens. Cut the insulation sightly undersize. Insert screws horizontally and sit the insulation on them. Squirt expanding foam down all the sides to seal the foam to the joists. That's what I did

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back