planning permission for tree house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a nice big tree in garden not overlooking any neighbours and have started building a small tree house for kids, only to hear nasty story about someone getting visit from local council saying permission was needed to continue his tree house! Have already put floor and 2 sides up and now bit worried that I'll get a visit telling me its a no go unless I part with some hard earned and jump through several flaming hoops. Now wondered if i should carry on or think again!? Cheers

Sponsored Links
Overlooking seems to be an “in vogue” hate with planners at the moment (you cant even build decking higher than 300mm) & common sense doesn’t always seem to prevail unless you’re in for a fight. Sureley you must remember the story of the tree house on the national news around 18 months ago & that had to be pulled down in the end :?:

If you really want it I'd keep quiet & if no one can see it, who's going to shop you; but you do need PP & you’re taking a risk without it. I've had my nose bloodied on this one & lost but it wasn’t a tree house.

maybe if you use screws and rope rather than nails and glue, you can argue it's a temporary structure or something :)

Sponsored Links
Overlooking seems to be an “in vogue” hate with planners at the moment (you cant even build decking higher than 300mm) & common sense doesn’t always seem to prevail unless you’re in for a fight. Sureley you must remember the story of the tree house on the national news around 18 months ago & that had to be pulled down in the end :?:

If you really want it I'd keep quiet & if no one can see it, who's going to shop you; but you do need PP & you’re taking a risk without it. I've had my nose bloodied on this one & lost but it wasn’t a tree house.

Any idea what my chances are if I go with the idea of up front honesty and request permission?? Along the same lines do I also need permission to build a shed or greenhouse? not that I plan to, but just trying to understand the justification... dont you just love red tape!!

Your best bet is to speak to your local planning authority regarding the tree house and the proposed shed/greenhouse.

As for the shed/greenhouse, new rules and regulations came into effect on 1st October 2008, which provides information on what works can be carried out under Permitted Development, but there are exceptions to the PD rules, e.g. Conservation area, listed building, etc...

You can have a read about it here...

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingwork/projects/workcommonoutbuildings/

Any idea what my chances are if I go with the idea of up front honesty and request permission?? Along the same lines do I also need permission to build a shed or greenhouse? not that I plan to, but just trying to understand the justification... dont you just love red tape!!
As mentioned your first move if you want to make it official is have a word with the planners. The red tape as you put it is to stop a member of public building a treehouse that does overlook and is an eyesore that can be seen by neighbours. Its a sad fact that joe public's' interpretation of not overlooking and unobtrusive is somewhat ambiguous. Ask yourself how you'd feel if your immediate neighbour built one and his noisy kids were constantly able to look into your garden?

i know this discussion is going back a few years now - but does anyone know of the rules and regs i would need to look into if i were to build a treehouse which i would then rent out to holiday makers? i have seen a few treehouses advertised around the UK that you can stay in so it must be possible! any advice would be gratefully received!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back