Planning permission questions (3.5m extension and skylights)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in an area where the council only agreed to 3.5m extensions in depth under planning permission rather than 4m for detached. Is this common with most councils and if so, why dont they go to the fill 4m? Is it give some flexibility in case builders "accidentally" exceed this as long as they dont go over 4m?

We've just had our planning permission approved, but I would like to know if I decided to put a flat glass panel of roughly 1m by 1m in the crown roof of my (to be built) loft extension, will this require amendment to the planning application even though it will be a flat window only facing the sky? I guess building regs would be more concerned with this?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
odd, because your permitted development rights allow 4m for detached dwellings and the council cannot modify permitted development rights, only take them away. Pd rights do not come from the local council either, they come from the government central, a higher authority

Show me a link to the council website where they quote the modified depth?

Whilst not technically to plan, I doubt anyone will care about you skylight unless you've fallen out with your neighbours in a major way. Or live next door to forum member Auction

They are happily allowing 4 m under permitted development as part of the legislation, however, it's just for planning permission they don't generally want to give more than 3.5 m

Sponsored Links
I can hazard a guess that the poster probably has some element of both side and rear extension, or the proposed mainly "rear" extension requires planning permission (because it also comes of a side wall and exceeds the width, because it exceeds 50% of the garden etc)

As previous posters have said, you are allowed to go 4m out with a single storey rear extension (as long as you tick all the other boxes)

The council maybe have a precedent that if it's not Permitted development, that their usual standards only go to 3.5m? (quite unusual but not beyond the realms of possibility)

Otherwise your extension may go quite close to the boundary, effect neighbours etc and that's why they have limited you to, in this instance 3.5m.

If your planning application has only recently been approved, I'd suggest resubmitting the application and having a "free go", and put your roof lights on the resubmitted plan. You may have to wait a little while, but as you already have a valid permission to build to, it shouldn't really slow the process down much, if any.

@nakajo
Because part of the rear extension is considered a side even though its at the rear, part of it is dead centre rear and the other part is behind an existing second generation side extension. Also because we are doing some other front elevation changes and increasing the roof height, so putting all this one app.

I will find out from the council about why they limit to 3.5m and revert back when I have an answer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back