Planning required for side-return extension?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm planning a small extension to my mid-terrace house.
It is a single story flat-roofed extension out into the side return to widen the kitchen.

The extension would not protrude further out at the back than the existing house. If the build is classed as a side extension than I believe it would not need planning permission. If it was classed as a rear extension than it would need permission as it is over 3metres long.

My local council don't seem very helpful and won't tell me if I need planning permission or not. I was wondering if anyone had any advice?

Sponsored Links
Its not overly clear what you are planning and the shape of your existing house so hard to answer categorically with the information provided. Easy if you posted rudimentary before and after sketches.

Any rear wall is considered the rear wall and cannot be extended more than 3m. A side extension on the back of the house is considered both a side and rear extension and the PD rules for each type of extension must be adhered to.

Planning departments will never categorically tell you whether a proposed development is Pd or requires a planning application.

Further guidance here http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/extensions/

and especially here specifically page 23 I believe applies to you: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/100806_PDforhouseholders_TechnicalGuidance.pdf

He's saying his house does not have a flat rear, so it's probably L shaped or T shaped or U shaped or W shaped etc. Doesn't make much odds which.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back