Planning permission past and present.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have been trying to get my head around planning permission and if I will require it for a small extension I am considering.

I have just bought a house which has a single story extension to the rear and side. There is no record of planning permission and this does not show up on OS maps / block plans etc.

The extension to the side does not reach all the way to the front / principle elevation. This is what I am wishing extend as I want to lengthen it to the front of the property.

Reading the rules on planning portal, because of the dimensions, it will not require planning as it doesn't breach anything. However because it is a corner plot, with a road also running down the side, they could class that as principle elevation.

Following on from that, the extension I am planning is only as wide as the garage on the side, so if they were to class the side as another principle elevation it would conform here as well... however as the original extension doesn't seem to have planning permission, would they therefore regard what I am planning as being in-front of the principle elevation - therefore needing planning permission.

I am hoping to get away with simply getting a certificate of lawfulness for the build, but again it seems to require block plans and site location plans which do not show the existing extension. Will this matter? Do I need to provide these plans or am I applying for actual planning permission online?

Thanks for your help.

Mark.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back