Additional planning permission question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am currently building my own extension and planning permission & building regs are all underway (built to DPC currently). The extension is a two storey side extension with a single storey extension on the side of that. See pic.

I am now thinking i should of put in for a two storey on all of it and i'm thinking of applying for the permission on this.

The questions which may seem daft (sorry!) are thus:

If I apply for the additional height on the single storey (to make it two storey) and it is rejected, does this affect the current permission in any way?

When I submit the planned changes, do i put the existing elevations as what has been currently accepted by planning permission (building in progress)?

If the new plan is accepted, does this require a new building regs application or can it be covered under the application currently underway?

Cheers, Chris

drawings.png

Sponsored Links
1. No.
2. I usually do, but occasionally an LPA will insist that the Existing drawings show the scheme as actually Existing rather than consented.
3. It shouldn't do, but speak the AI/BCO

If you submit a second application assuming the previous one was the first and within the last 12 months you will be exempt from the application fee - just select the appropriate box when you submit.

If you had a good case officer the first time around and willing to discuss I would send to them first to see their thoughts, they may tell you if they are likely to approve first.

If time is important you may be quicker to do a non-material amendment if they will accept it as such, its a small fee but they don't have to re-consult and can be done quickly. They may however argue as height it is material and they need to re-consult and therefore need to be a full application (they may suggest a section 73 variation, but don't bother with this for domestic extension - it's more expensive and takes as long as a planning application).

Slightly off-topic, but I've often wondered just what a 'non-material amendment' means.
Surely, if an amendment is 'material', the scheme needs a re-submission, but if it's 'non-material', then it's not relevant to planning and shouldn't require an approval from the LPA?
Seems like a contradiction in terms?

Sponsored Links
Slightly off-topic, but I've often wondered just what a 'non-material amendment' means.
Surely, if an amendment is 'material', the scheme needs a re-submission, but if it's 'non-material', then it's not relevant to planning and shouldn't require an approval from the LPA?
Seems like a contradiction in terms?

No definition of material. In essence you are correct. If approved under non-material bascially the LPA saying its so minor its fine as a change and doesn't need planning g. See it sort of as a way of the LPA confirming this for you for later protection from enforcement. Yes if you didn't have it, then it shouldn't make a difference but no way of knowing this for sure until you have it.

Material amendments (section 73 variations) and for amending a condition on a planning approval. This could be the condition that lists the drawings numbers.usually used on larger planning applications where resubmitting and reviewing the whole scheme is unnecessary.

It’s not within 12 months, about 20 months ago.

I have been reading a little about the minor amendments, although that suggests that if the scale of the change could have an adverse effect on the neighbours, street scene etc, it has to be a re-submit.

I’ve submitted a full application now so I’ll see what comes of it. It’s £226, but better to do now while it’s being built than after!

There are minor amendments and non material amendments. A planning consultant once told me there was no such thing as a minor modification. I then found that Leeds City Council actually had an application form for approval of 'minor modifications' !
If anybody can find a clear explanation of material and non material amendments in Planning can you please let me know. The planning officer decides what is material or not. Having said that ,I am fairly certain adding another storey to a house extension is not going to be accepted as a non material amendment or a minor modification
p.s. amending a condition of a planning consent I understand.

It's not adding another storey. As you already have approval for addinh a second storey you are possibly "amending the second storey" that has already been approved?

As part of the approved extension is only single storey isn't the new proposal a first floor extension ?

Depends how creative you are, and accommodating and responsive the planning officer is. I'm guessing they won't allow it but always worth an ask.

It probably doesn't change the application description which is always a good start.

If someone can talk a whole storey to be a minor amendment, they need to be flying out to Palestine to sort that **** out straight afterwards.

If you take the approved scheme as existing it is adding another storey on to the ground floor part ,or a first floor extension ,and the planners will not allow this as a minor amendment ,but that does not mean they would not approve it when the details are submitted as they require.
If you ignore the approved scheme it is adding a 2 storey extension to the existing house.

Last edited by a moderator:
As part of the approved extension is only single storey isn't the new proposal a first floor extension ?

Yes, I’d say so, I’ve submitted it as a new planning application not an amendment or material change and i've labelled the description as "First floor extension"

I always assumed it would've been a new planning application anyway, hence the original questions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back