Steps after planning permission is granted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am hopefully going to receive planning permission for a single storey extension across the back and side. The application is going through at the moment.

Once planning permission is granted, do I need to then do a building regs application?

I have heard conflicting advice, one is to get it done before you start and the other is to do it as you go along? All very confusing :confused:

Can anyone recommend which route to go?

Sponsored Links
My planning permission has just been granted but my arcitect is acting as my agent, I'm not sure if you have the same sort of thing or you are submitting everything yourself ?.

The next step for me is to submit a full plans application and get an appointment with the building inspector, he will then come round and tell me what he needs doing for the first stage. We then get the builders in and liase with them and building control so that he can come back and inspect it at the various stages.

Get planning sorted first then worry about the reg's after permission is granted. There may be conditions that effect the drawings, or permission may even be refused, so i would always say get your planning ticket first.

If the proposal is likely to get through planning with no (or only minor) changes, then you can make the b/regs application now so that both permissions come back at the same time and you can start more or less striaght-away.

If there might be changes which could alter things like timber or steel sizes, then wait before submitting b/regs.

Either way, you can start work after 48 hours of submitting the b/regs application so there is no need to wait for the plans to be checked :cool:

Sponsored Links
I am doing as woody has stated.
My planning has just gone in, but I am having building regs drawings done as well so that I can get accurate quotes off several builders. This means that I can get all the negotiation and quotes sorted out in advance so I can start the work immediately planning is granted.

It is a more financially risky method, but it depends on what your time scales are.

I have also been told you can do a lot of work under a building Notice where the building regs come and inspect periodically. Not sure of all the rules though as this is my 'first time' :oops:

Good luck.

I have also been told you can do a lot of work under a building Notice where the building regs come and inspect periodically.

Fine so long as you REALLY trust your builder. ;)

Nothing wrong with the building notice route & it’s well suited to most small extensions & renovation projects but in order not to get stitched up by unscrupulous cowboys you need to have an understand of what’s required & get the appropriate building inspections done; remember, at the end of the day, the responsibility for compliance falls on you & not him!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back