Start digging foundations before planning permission expires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Newbie here.
We have planning permission granted for a two storey rear extension and single side extension to our three-bed semi. The permission expires December 2013.
Can I start digging the foundations for the side extension, get them approved by the building inspectorate, and, assuming we would not actually build the extension (due to 2nd baby arriving in December 2012) until after the permission expiry date comes about (Dec 2013), do I need to go back to apply for planning permission for the actual building?

Sorry if this is a bit of a dis-jointed question.
Regards, Rich.

Sponsored Links
As long as you make a start before planning expires your OK but you need to formally register you have started by submitting a Building Notice, paying the appropriate fee & having the foundation work inspected within 3 years of submission or the Building Notice itself will expire. Once you’ve done that there is no practical time limit at the moment. You can submit a notice just for the foundation work & make another submission for the rest of it later I believe but it will work out more expensive than a single submission for the whole extension.

I assume your going to lay the foundations & not just dig a trench & leave it exposed which will be dangerous. Watch out for any trees within 5m (loose them if you can) or the BI will make you go down far more than normal 1m & the he will advise when he inspects your open trench; 3m is not unheard of but way OTT IMO.

Thanks for the reply. Most useful.

Yes, I would be digging the trench and laying foundation so as not to be a danger.
There is a prunus tree within 1.5metres from said foundation (in my neighbours garden) so this might be an issue, not only to get the tree removed (or roots removed) with aboricultural officer involvement, but also from the perspective of potentially deep trench.

If your soil volume change potential is high you could be looking at a 2.3m deep foundation. Might be worth having the soil tested. Medium drops it to about 1.8m.

Sponsored Links
For your information, setting out also constitutes a start on site.

Just start digging a hole, notify building control who will make a formal record and then you're fine. Just make sure the date you start is not the actual three year date, but the day before, i.e.

Date of approval: 1st August 2012
Three year date: 1st August 2015

Start on site: 31st July 2015

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back