Planning Permission expired - what can we do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We were granted plannning permission to build an extension at the side of our house. Unfortunately due to unforseen circumstances we were unable to start the extension and planning permission expired December 1009. Is there anything we can do to restore our planning permission as we will be in a position to start the extension this year or will we have to start the whole process again.
Many thanks
jane

Sponsored Links
I presume you mean it expired 2009? ;)

As far as I know you would have to re-apply, but you've already got the dwg's etc + therefore really only have to fill the forms out + pay the £150?

Or does it fall under permitted development (thereby not requiring planning approval)?

Have you got Building Regs approval?

Thanks for your reply. We have got Building regs etc. Do you know if the forms are complicated, our plans were put in by our Architect so didn't have the hassle of form filling!!

What do you mean by expired... not started within three years OR the permission has actually expired (i.e. five years after receiving the approval)?

Sponsored Links
There's plenty of 'advice notes' usually. Go onto your Local Authority website + you can download the forms + advice notes from there.

Then take your drawings down to the local planning office + ask them to go through it once you've completed it. Your going to have to make a few copies of the drawings, location plan + application forms etc. Then you just hand it all in, together with the appropiate planning fee.

But do check if it falls under permitted development, it could save you the planning fee !!!

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/en...sibilities/workresppp/workresppppermitteddev/

Good luck ;)

Hi Devil Damo

We were granted permission in 2006 so the 3 years have lapsed. I thought that we would have had to have started work before December 2009 when the 3 years were up. Are you saying that we have 5 years from when planning permission was granted to start work, if so that would be great!!

The condition normally states...

The development for which permission is hereby granted must be commenced not later than the expiration of three years beginning with the date of this permission.

I will have to double check what the client does if they haven't started within that period because basically... one of the conditions have not been complied with upon which the permission was granted.

Again, I would have to double check but you usually have to start within 3 years but the actual approval is valid for 5 years. But in this situation, you have not started within 3 years so you need to address that condition.

It may be worth speaking to your local planning authority to see how to approach it?

I keep coming across the same guidance...

Generally, unless your permission says otherwise, you can begin the development at any time within three years of the granting of planning permission. If you have not started work by then, you will probably need to reapply.

I did think a 5 year period was mentioned somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.

Before 24 August 2005, permissions were granted for five years.

Since that date, permissions have been granted with a three year life span.

If you haven't commenced work before the permission lapses, the permission is unimplemented and is dead.

You therefore need to apply for planning permission again. That means new forms, full set of plans and, of course, another fee.

The advice earlier in this thread about checking your PD rights is very wise. What required planning permission in December 2006 might now be permitted development. And vice versa. The PD rules changed substantially on 1 October 2008.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back