No planning permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What happens if you build a extension and have building regs but no planning permission?

Here's the story:
Doing a 10m side extension, got building inspector involved and all going good with foundation etc. Extension is about to go up and we been told it doesn't come under PD.
Do I carry on with extension(neighbours have no issue with it) or stop work and apply for planning permission

The walls have been knocked out so I'm in a pickle. Current wait for applications is 3 months I'm told.

The side extension is being done along side a Garage Conversion to convert it into a habitable room.
Should I stop work and get the planning?

Sponsored Links
So if I was to build under PD, here are facts.
I can go up to 8m as I'm a detached bungalow.
I'm not within 2m of the boundary fence, so the 3m height rule to the eaves applies. So from this pic where would the flat roof go up to be below the eaves, is that below gutters? Or above the gutter below ridge tile

Attachments

• IMG-20240226-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20240226-WA0012.jpg
    457.5 KB · Views: 67
Sponsored Links
You ought to be more concerned about what exactly is holding up your wallplate as you have supported the ceiling/floor joists with a row of acros's but the ceiling/floor joists sit on the wallplate and it it the wallplate that needs support.

You are a MUG if you continue now knowing you need planning AND you / your architect should have told you this much earlier.
We not continuing. That is as far as the works got. The acros have been removed and supported by steels. Work has since stopped, its a old pic before steels went in. Nothing has been built past floor level.

Planning permission has been applied for this week.
I'm just thinking if I got refused planning what I can do under PD.

Generally to comply with permitted development rules for an extension to a bungalow you will fall foul of the eaves height requirement if you have a flat roof.

One way around this is to have a false pitched roof (sometimes called a crown roof) where you have a pitched roof around the edge with the same eaves height as the bungalow with a flat roof in the centre.

Generally to comply with permitted development rules for an extension to a bungalow you will fall foul of the eaves height requirement if you have a flat roof.

One way around this is to have a false pitched roof (sometimes called a crown roof) where you have a pitched roof around the edge with the same eaves height as the bungalow with a flat roof in the centre.
Having a false pitched roof won't fall foul of being PD? Just worried incase they make a issue out of it

Last edited:
Having a false pitched roof won't fall foul of being PD? Just worried incase they make a issue out of it
Assuming you don't go crazy with the roof height and all the other criteria are met. Of course you could put a pitched roof on the extension and still be within PD if the relevant eaves and ridge heights are still met.

The eaves height is a stupid anomaly with the permitted development system. Because of that it is extremely difficult to have a flat roof single storey extension on a bungalow under PD because technically the "eaves" height of the flat roof is usually higher than the eaves height on the bungalow.

This is all that's been done on the floor level, and work was halted since.
Could the gap cause a issue with the planners up to the boundary, as it tapers in towards the end.
The neighbour has no issues with me putting up a single storey this close.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240304_200030_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240304_200030_Gallery.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 76
This is all that's been done on the floor level, and work was halted since.
Could the gap cause a issue with the planners up to the boundary, as it tapers in towards the end.
The neighbour has no issues with me putting up a single storey this close.
I bet Building Control have been nowhere near that job. Those bricks are not suitable for that location and there doesn't appear to be any masonry below the bricks I can see.

Is it a shed?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back