What to Show as Existing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, A quick question for you, I have planning permission for a single storey rear extension (about 1/3 width of existing house) and a double storey side extension. The side extension is nearly up to the roof wall plate level and will continue until completed, the foundations for the rear extension are in and blockwork is going up (the foundations are fine for two storeys) and the bricky's will stop just before lintel level.

I want to put a planning application in for increasing the single storey rear extension to two storey. Or a two storey extension instead of a single if you like.

So my question is what should I show as existing when I submit my plans with the new application? Should I show the side extension as existing or leave it off completely or what?

Sponsored Links
Hi ^woody^ thanks for replying, the single storey bit would only be up to about 6ft obviously with no doors/windows internal walls etc, so you're saying show that as a existing? A half finished shell?

If you are applying for the first floor extension, then presumably a ground floor extension will need to be in existance first to build off.

If you leave the ground floor off the application, then you are effectively applying for a two storey and might not get it.

Sponsored Links
That's a fair point though if the planners make a visit (as it cannot be seen from the road so they may well do) they will see that the extension is just a shell and the existing drawings do not actually reflect what is there? Or do you think I should be saying to them in say a covering letter that construction is underway and the ground floor extension will be finished no matter what (which it will)?

So you're saying apply for adding a storey on top of the ground foor extension?

Not apply for a two storey extension per se?

We had something similar on here recently.

I usually draw it up as if the extension is existing but add a discrete note somewhere on the drawing saying "under construction" or "work in progress" or "phase 1" whatever best serves your purpose.

If the single storey rear extension already has planning permission the planning officer will check all previous applications anyway so it is all rather academic really (assuming you built it in accordance with the approved plans).

say a covering letter
No need for that, you just write a one sentence text annotation on the plan.

The planner is interested in what the applied for extension will look like when everything is done and things can be assessed in context.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back