2 storey Side extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just bought an end of terrace house with an existing side conservatory extension . We would like to convert this into a 2 storey side extension. I have been told by the previous owners that the existing side extension foundations are adequate for a 2 storey build. The space between existing extension and the side boundary is 2.5m. Any ideas on planning regulations. Do you think i can make a viable planning application. Thanks

Sponsored Links
The adequacy of the foundations is not too much of an issue in the scheme of things. They will need to be checked and if they are satisfactory, fine. If not, there are alternatives that can be considered, although at varying levels of expense.

Whether or not you will get permission to build a two storey side extension is at the mercy of your local planning department. Some councils have a policy whereby building up to, or close to, the boundary is not acceptable, due to the terracing effect.
In others, (Bexley and Dartford are two Kent councils I can mention) it seems they have no such problems with the terracing effect, as there are many semi detached properties with the gap between them so small a cat would struggle to fit down it...

Although, as your property is already terraced, I'm guessing your side boundary may adjoin a road?

The adequacy of the foundations is not too much of an issue in the scheme of things. They will need to be checked and if they are satisfactory, fine. If not, there are alternatives that can be considered, although at varying levels of expense.

Whether or not you will get permission to build a two storey side extension is at the mercy of your local planning department. Some councils have a policy whereby building up to, or close to, the boundary is not acceptable, due to the terracing effect.
In others, (Bexley and Dartford are two Kent councils I can mention) it seems they have no such problems with the terracing effect, as there are many semi detached properties with the gap between them so small a cat would struggle to fit down it...

Although, as your property is already terraced, I'm guessing your side boundary may adjoin a road?

Hi, thanks for that. alas my side boundary fence adjourns the neighbours side garden. Even though their house faces onto a different road if you get what i mean. They are end of terrace on their stretch and i am end of terrace on my stretch. so we share garden space at a T junction. Even though i will be leaving 2.5m between my proposed extension and the fence that separates us, do you think the neighbours have a right to refuse. This is assuming the council is willing to grant permission. I am with tonbridge and malling council by the way. has any one encountered them?

What cost effective foundation options are there if the current foundations a found to be inadequate.

Has any one found it useful to chat to their neighbours about their plans before applying?

Also does one have to put in a different application for the different work to be done, or will one application for one price cover it. - we are hoping to put in a front porch and do a small PD at the rear.

2.5m doesn't seem unreasonable, but each application is considered on its own merits.

Anyone can object to a planning application, so yes, your neighbours could object. Whether they have grounds would be a completely different matter.

This link gives a list of grounds for objection, any of which may or may not be relevant to your application.

Sponsored Links
If the current foundations aren't sufficient the main option is underpinning which is costly. So I'm not sure what the first replier was suggesting as alternatives?

I would suggest as a first step to get a trial hole dug by a gardener or labourer to expose the current foundations and then ask (nicely) for the local Building Inspector to come over and discuss their suitability for an additional storey.

It's really hard to advise as to whether you will get planning or not because it really depends on so many things, like loss of light to your neighbours, therefore what is the orientation of your house and extension? Position and proximatey of your next door neighbour, overlooking an issue? The design and whether it is i keeping, the terracing effect, blah blah blah.

A photo would be nice so that I can rule a few things out :)

If the current foundations aren't sufficient the main option is underpinning which is costly. So I'm not sure what the first replier was suggesting as alternatives?
Don't be so daft! If the conservatory founds are inadequate you'd just rip 'em out and slap some new ones in! :rolleyes:

Underpinning indeed! :rolleyes:

So Freddy Mercury are you made of money?! (suppose you would be)

Don't be so daft! If the conservatory founds are inadequate you'd just rip 'em out and slap some new ones in! :rolleyes:

Underpinning indeed! :rolleyes:

Typical reply of a builder of today "slap new ones in"
I tell my clients to avoid advice like this.

So a 3ft digger + a man for a day or so and a skip is gonna be expensive compared to the SE design and costs of underpinning?

And in the grand scheme of a 2 storey extension you think this'll kill the project?

@ the OP I suggest you get hold of the Local Plan (phone your local Planning department and ask them to email you the link they can be a PITA top find by searching LA websites), this is a document that demonstrates the criteria by which your potential extension will be decided.

Depends on the size of the existing single storey extension - so yes it possibly would be too expensive. £5k for new footings and demo of existing for a largish extension would be prohibitive for a lot of people.

"So a 3ft digger + a man for a day or so and a skip"

Is this all that's required for new footings then. :rolleyes:

Nice welcome to the forum mate

Aye, your man's on site with a digger so he's effectively dug the new trenches already, add some readymix and job done. Underpinning! :rolleyes:

I'm not your mate btw.

If you take the time to actually read my post I wasn't suggesting underpinning, I was merely suggesting that underpinning was an option.

Yes, you could lay new footings but why would you want to do this if there are some already there?

I have two recent projects where clients have said they don't want to build a storey on top of an existing single storey extension if the footings aren't adequate. so I go with my experience on this, not you ramming your own views down my throat.

There are so many variables in this to start an argument- I really don't get where you are coming from being so aggressive.

Some people spend too much time on forums and guard it like they own it.

No just don't like seeing poor advice, I only posted in this thread once some poor advice had been posted.

Yes, if the OP had a single storey extension and wanted to build an additional storey on top your point/posts are perfectly valid but the OP has a conservatory. The last time I built an additional storey on top of a conservatory it collapsed!

No just don't like seeing poor advice, I only posted in this thread once some poor advice had been posted.

Yes, if the OP had a single storey extension and wanted to build an additional storey on top your point/posts are perfectly valid but the OP has a conservatory. The last time I built an additional storey on top of a conservatory it collapsed!

The OP has been told that the founds are adequate. did you not read this? Reading between the lines doesn't take a genius to think: "maybe the OP wants to use the original foundations".

Ahh the old lost the debate so change tact post eh? And it was yourself who brought up foundation alternatives after Ronnys initial post was it not?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back