planter boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am starting a project to make some planter boxes for my garden outside, I have picked a 100mm Cellular Dense Concrete Block , and has a 3.5kn rating and measures 215mm x 440mm x 100mm.
I will be going two blocks high and would like to know if this type of block would be ok to use for this job?

Sponsored Links
yes you'll have to use strong mortar and probably protect from frost as the blocks will often be saturated

If you’re referring to hollow blocks, it’s overkill and will result in thicker sides, and you could use normal 100mm solid blocks.

If you can build it round a plastic liner (with drainage holes) this will reduce water penetration and it will last much longer, and get less shabby.

Sponsored Links
I build them then line the inside sides with heavy gauge dpm before filling with soil, and render with waterproofer in.

I will be using cement but can i lay them on top of soil ?

I will be using cement but can i lay them on top of soil ?
I'm suddenly wondering whether we're over engineering something you're intending to be very simple and not really permanent.!
If you are happy to lay the blocks on flat you could scrape the soil into the middle, level the outside, and lay 2 courses on their sides dry to make it 200mm high, and that would be fine, if a little ugly it would do the job and be unlikely to move, but if you wanted to move it in future, you could go ahead and do so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back