Construction and footings for small garden wall (numerous threads merged)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

i am building a raised bed in my garden out of concrete blocks (100mm wide x 215mm high). i am looking to build 2 blocks high and 1 block wide ( 100mm wide x 430mm high) i would like to know how deep and wide do i need to dig a trench to pour concrete in for the foundations. i was thinking may be 150mm deep and approx 250mm wide? complete guess.

help.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

building a raised bed around the perimeter of my garden. it will be made with concrete blocks (100mm wide and 215mm high) and will be 2 courses high and a single block deep, i would like to know how wide and deep i need to dig the footing ( i think that's the right term - basically the trench to pour concrete) for wall to be sturdy. i was hoping 200mm wide by 150mm deep - am i way off?

regards

Hi All,

can you advise what the difference in these blocks is other than weight and what is most suitable to be used for a raised garden bed. thanks

Hi All,

can you advise what the difference in these blocks is other than weight and what is most suitable to be used for a raised garden bed. thanks

Sponsored Links
Dense concrete will be more resistant to moisture and easier to render, use them for raised beds not aerated.

Hi All,

I am looking to make a raised bed in my garden from concrete blocks. it will be 2 courses high (430mm). I would like know how deep and wide i should make my footing to make it sturdy.

thanks

Hi All,

I am making a raised bed from concrete blocks - 440mm x 100mm x 215mm (LxWxH). my raised bed will be 2 courses high, so essentially 430mm high (plus little bit for mortar).
the raised bed will run the perimeter of my garden which at its longest length is 11m on any one side.

what i would like to know is the following.

1. do i need to have a concrete footing to place my blocks on or can i just partially submerge the first course of blocks just below ground level i.e like 30mm below ground and will this be structurally strong (reason i ask is the concrete for the footing seems to get extremely expensive as i have to buy the ready mix bags as i don't have any external access to my garden other than through the house)

2. If i must have a footing, what size does this footing need to be dug out at - currently it is about 150mm deep x 200mm wide. again trying to minimise size if possible to reduce concrete cost

Thanks All

Hi All,

I am making a raised bed from concrete blocks - 440mm x 100mm x 215mm (LxWxH). my raised bed will be 2 courses high, so essentially 430mm high (plus little bit for mortar).
the raised bed will run the perimeter of my garden which at its longest length is 11m on any one side.

1. do i need to have a concrete footing to place my blocks on or can i just partially submerge the first course of blocks just below ground level i.e like 30mm below ground and will this be structurally strong (reason i ask is the concrete for the footing seems to get extremely expensive as i have to buy the ready mix bags as i don't have any external access to my garden other than through the house)

2. If i must have a footing, what size does this footing need to be dug out at - currently it is about 150mm deep x 200mm wide. again trying to minimise size if possible to reduce concrete cost

Thanks All

Hi All,

Thanks All

hi all looking to make a concrete block raised bed.

for my concrete footing to place my block on what is the correct mix ratio of all in ballast and cement.

my raised bed will be 2 courses high i.e about 430mm

thanks

You'll definitely need footings or they will sink. I'd guess at 8" but I may be well out!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back