Short retaining wall thickness (for patio)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having to build a short retaining wall for a raised patio, in order to take up the slope in my garden. At it's minimum, the wall will only be 100mm high (above ground level) and at the maximum will be 300mm high. Once built, I will be backfilling with compacted Type 1 before laying the patio

What is the minimum thickness of wall recommended for this type of purpose?

I have been looking at 400mm concrete footings (150mm deep) and then laying concrete blocks on their side to give a 215mm wide wall. That seems quite a substantial wall for such a small height, so was wondering if I could get away with 300mm wide footings and just use 100mm high density concrete block for the wall, given it won't be holding back a huge amount.

Wondering if anyone with experience building small retaining walls for patios has any advice on this?

Sponsored Links
I'm having to build a short retaining wall for a raised patio, in order to take up the slope in my garden. At it's minimum, the wall will only be 100mm high (above ground level) and at the maximum will be 300mm high. Once built, I will be backfilling with compacted Type 1 before laying the patio

What is the minimum thickness of wall recommended for this type of purpose?

I have been looking at 400mm concrete footings (150mm deep) and then laying concrete blocks on their side to give a 215mm wide wall. That seems quite a substantial wall for such a small height, so was wondering if I could get away with 300mm wide footings and just use 100mm high density concrete block for the wall, given it won't be holding back a huge amount.

Wondering if anyone with experience building small retaining walls for patios has any advice on this?
If it was all just 100mm high, I'd go with the single block on edge. But at 300mm high, I'd go with your original idea. Three layers of blocks on side will give some bonded strength to the wall.

The thinnest would be some concrete paving slabs on edge set in concrete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back