retaining patio wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I am wanting to build a retaining wall for a patio to sit on, the wall will be 10mt long x 1.5 mt high as their is a slope 1 in 3 so the 1.5 mt will fetch the height of the wall to ground level, I am intending to use hollow concrete block, but the thing I am not sure of is should I use concrete strip footings or will a hardcore footing be ok.

Cheers Karl. :D

Sponsored Links
Structural Engineer innit, don't be scared though find the right one it'd be about £200 max to design a proper wall using the methods you are comfortable with.
There's no such thing as a hardcore footing BTW.

Sponsored Links
Structural Engineer innit, don't be scared though find the right one it'd be about £200 max to design a proper wall using the methods you are comfortable with.
There's no such thing as a hardcore footing BTW.

OH sorry, foundation then, why would I need a SE for a 1.5 mt high wall in the garden its not the empire sate building am after constructing or any big excavations just using a shovel to make a trench. all I am needing is some advice for a suitable foundation for the type of wall structure i.e. concrete hollow block relevant to height and use. :D

Cos if you get it wrong (and DIYers sometimes do) it will kill someone if it goes over.

Yea some hardcore for the foundation will do it. :LOL:

Cos if you get it wrong (and DIYers sometimes do) it will kill someone if it goes over.

I can assure you I am more than capable to do the job , I was just unsure about the foundations ( I know this is the most important part of the job ) whats the job with foundation blocks , these are something new to me , can these be used instead of a concrete stip , I am thinking for ease of use thats all. :D

I can assure you I am more than capable to do the job , I was just unsure about the foundations ( I know this is the most important part of the job ) whats the job with foundation blocks , these are something new to me , can these be used instead of a concrete stip , I am thinking for ease of use thats all. :D

OK, sorted now , concrete strip footings , concrete block foundation / wall . thanks for the reply's . :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back