Building Retaining wall with flower bed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I am using lockdown to do some long needed changes to the garden. I am replacing a victorian brick retaining wall and want to incorporate some planting between it and the patio that will sit behind it.
The wall will be less than 700mm high but I am still intending to put in proper drainage.
I am intending to use 7KN solid blocks for building the wall.
I have a couple of questions.
1. Am I ok to use compacted MOT1 for the base rather than putting in concrete foundations? I have read that it is better than concrete for retaining walls but some people say that you should use concrete. I am intending to use a type 1 base because of the limited height of the wall.
2. What is the best way to create the planting space between the wall and the patio. To my mind either the front or the back of the planting could be the true retaining wall, with the other side being purely to contain the planting area and to edge the patio - which will be pavers. I have attached a couple of plans of how I think it could work but would be grateful to get some thoughts on this.
3. How stable is drainage gravel? If I am putting this behind the retaining wall then the patio edging will be partly on top of it. Could this cause a problem or does it compact well enough to give the support to a patio and the patio edging/back of the planting?
Any guidance appreciated. I am keen to do the work myself but like anything there is no replacement to experience!
Chris
Screenshot 2021-01-27 at 10.17.12.png
Screenshot 2021-01-27 at 10.15.22.png

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back