Concrete blocks in concrete mix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to build a small retaining wall 2 concrete blocks high 17" (430mm) that will have a patio going on top. My question is, can I bed the concrete blocks straight into the concrete foundation rather than using a layer of mortar? Also, I'm planning on having the foundation 4" (100mm) deep and 12" (300mm) wide - is this enough? TIA

Sponsored Links
u could bed the blocks straight in the concrete - it's not normal practise - the mortar allows u to get the positioning right (line & level).

the foundation at 100 deep x 300 wide is fine. if anything i would go 6" on the foundation but only if u think it needs it.

Hi, Davey boy,
It's kind of sloppy bad practice, and why not do it properly in the first place.
If a jobs worth doing badly, then it's worth doing well too.

Thank you for your replies, I have laid the foundations minus concrete blocks and will use mortar as is the norm.

Dave

Sponsored Links
make sure u use a piece of string or line to keep them in line and level.

the line needs to be over the full length and taught/held (by bricks at each end) just above the coarse being laid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back