plaster and gloss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 3 walls in my house that have been glossed. i heard that you cant plaster over the gloss painted walls. so what will i have to do to prepare the wall for plastering. i cant be hacking the wall back, so can i pva the glossed wall??? will this work?

Sponsored Links
you can use Bond-it or Betakontact its similar to pva but needs to be left overnight before you can skim.

The good news is you don't need to "hack the wall back" but you need to create some serious scoring/roughing of the surface. Use an old trowel or scraper & criss- cross score all over the wall, penetrating the paint & back into the plaster. Space the score marks around 20mm apart & when you’ve done that, go over the whole wall with a VERY stiff wire brush so it looks a complete & dull mess. Give it a coat of 3:1 PVA & leave to dry thoroughly for at least 12 hours, the longer the better. Just before skimming, PVA with a 5:1 mix, preferably applied with a roller but don’t over brush & skim when tacky.

You must, however, talk to your plasterer regarding prep. Work & what, if any, he’s prepared to let you do; then follow HIS instructions explicitly.

will applying pva neat to the wall not do the trick?? i tried to sand the walls down with some heavy duty sandpaper, but it didnt do much good. i did try as well to key the wall, but it was such a hard job to do. the plaster there is very tough, it maybe render behind there...

Sponsored Links
For the love of god, why would people gloss a wall....

But still, have you tried using a hot air gun and scraping it off?

I assumed you meant vinyl gloss emulsion! Are you talking about oil gloss paint? If so, that could be rather more of a problem & you may have to strip it right back. I’ve plastered gloss & eggshell emulsion successfully before but never gloss paint so am unsure if it’s possible; perhaps others can advise.

would it not be less effort to hack it all off and get it done properly?

Rich im not sure what kind of gloss it is, how would i tell if its vinyl gloss or oil paint gloss? yes i could hack it off, but it would be such a nightmare, as i believe its render behind there. i had a go wit a hammer and boster but was tough work.

Well get the professionals in. You asked this question on another post you put up. You seem to be askin' the same questions !!!!! I put my answer on that post but you obviously didn't read it..

Re:- plaster advice....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back