PLASTER BOARDS ON CIELING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone Help me please.
Had a flood in bathroom this week,roof caved in kitchen,insurance want £150.00 excess :(
so thought I would do it myself :)
when I pulled the old plaster board down i found the previous owners must have had a similar issue as that had been replaced in the past,all the latts are cut away half way across kitchen and they just nailed the new board to joists.would it be a better idea to nail in some new latts and use dry wall cement and fit the new board that way,or just screw a new board to the joists and fill the gaps in,also can I apply artex straight onto the plaster board to match the rest of the cieling or does it need skiming with plaster first.any info most greatfull.Thanks Dave

Sponsored Links
Slim,
I'd pay the excess, get the job done by people who know what to do,(minus the artex) and save yourself all the hassle, ;)

Roughcaster.

thanks
I may now pay the excess,I have replaced plaster boards in other places but not ceilings,the ARTEX is a moment of madness from previous owners ,They must have bought a job lot,every wall and every cieling in the house ,apart from 1 wall in the living room were they covered it in tudor stone.God they must have been on LSD,I have replastered every room so far (well got some one in to plaster) apart from Hall,thats next :(
Good excuse to go the pub tommorow now :)

Sponsored Links
Slim,
If you get insurance to do it, tell them you don't want the artex. I know what you mean if it's everywhere. Horrible stuff. Good luck though.

Roughcaster.

had a inspector out to inspect the work and he told me it needed an asbestos test as pre 1989 Artex was a bit dodgy.Just had results and tests are positive,I am now wondering whether it is positive or are they all working cap in hand as a positive now means I have to get the whole kitchen roof replaced,big job ,lots of dust etc and I have a big arch entering my living room,and plenty of money for the contracters
I don't wan't it to be honest and a patch up and paint over will do me,I have only fitted a whole new kitchen/livingroom recently and don't want it messed up.could I get them to give me a cash settlement and just get it patched from a local platerer or is it safer their way?
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back