plaster cracking...best fillers caulk etc ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
having had 3 beds re-skimmed 12 months ago approx cracks have appeared accross the walls in the corners especially ? am going to rake out all the loose forming a v as suggested then either use a decent ready mixed filler or am i better off using a flexible caulk ? also any more tips on acheiving this hopefully not to re-occurr in same spot much appreciated cheers again :)

Sponsored Links
You say the rooms were re-skimmed. Are you sure the plaster skim has not seperated from the original surface? Does the plaster sound hollow if you tap it with your knuckle. If it sounds firm, then all well and good.

Don't use the ready mixed fillers or caulk to fill in the cracks. The caulk will not sand down smooth and the ready mix are usually too hard to sand down smooth. Clean out the cracks, I use a stanly blade but sideways on so you scratch out the V. Blow out all the dust and crap. Fill using a powder mix filler, I only use 'Toupret' as they are really fine powders and dry in 30 minutes, but the old polyfiller is still out there if you must! Apply a second filler coat and sand to get it really smooth

Re-apply the paint over the filled area, then when dry, apply a second coat over the whole wall to loose the repair!

Use one of the new lightweight ready mixed fillers like Red Devil or Wickes own. Any other caulk or filler is now obsolete.

If you havn't already, apply your mist coat before doing any filling as the bare plaster will suck out the moisture from the filler creating a potentially weak bond. Plus it will show up any other filling that needs doing and you'll be able to hit it all in one shot. Tetrion are probably the best fillers out there, red devil is fine tho but takes to long to dry on deep fills, also easifill is good

Sponsored Links
Toupret do a range of very good fillers, treatments, and skimcoats, but may be difficult to source in some locations. Available online though from some good decor-supplies sites.

Agreed i meant to say toupret not tetrion, their range is very good

I heard that until fairly recently Toupret was only available in London and Bristol. London because thats where the rep lived with his wife and Bristol because thats where his mistress lived!

My vote would be easifill. You can get this from B&Q and its reasonably priced. This is my filler of choice at the moment! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back