Plaster drying to quick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So ive had a few problem walls on different occasions. All had 2 coats of pva as i usually would. Ive had it where the first and second coat set really quickly. What would happen if the plaster set hard but not dried properly and you reapplied PVA to walls that wasnt dry. Would this seal the water in? Leading to further problems down the line or would it just control the suction?

Sponsored Links
You need to seal dry walls to control the suction.
I use gardz or the cheaper beeline sealer and let it dry for 4 hours (overnight if I can)
Then PVA and when sticky get and skim.

Other way is to use the more expensive PVA that's waterproof. This creates a water barrier Vs cheaper plastering PVA which is not waterproof and will liven up when water is applied. Plastering PVA is not a great sealer unless your geting plenty on.
Follow guide on can for adding water etc

Your simply using cheap PVA that's not good enough for the specific surface.

Others use SBR to seal but that totally seals walls.
I'm not a fan

As for your question. Probably get away with small area but asking for trouble and a bodge up.
Get and seal the wall properly. Control your suction by sealing wall.

The walls were prepped as you usually would. The person working for me put 1 coat on and it set before he reached the end of the wall. It wasnt a big wall. He tried a second did the same. As it was booked as a day job and the walls wasnt playing nice we left it. I wondered what would happen if another good coat of PVA or anything else on the market could be applied to stop that suction. As it stands i have to go back at weekend to sort it out.
When the wall is going terribly wrong but they arent dry what could you put on them?

I was unsure if some products on the market would seal in the moisture and lead to mould etc further down the line

Sponsored Links
No you will not seal the moisture in, pva it, let it dry, pva again and skim while tacky.

The walls were prepped as you usually would. The person working for me put 1 coat on and it set before he reached the end of the wall. It wasnt a big wall. He tried a second did the same. As it was booked as a day job and the walls wasnt playing nice we left it. I wondered what would happen if another good coat of PVA or anything else on the market could be applied to stop that suction. As it stands i have to go back at weekend to sort it out.
When the wall is going terribly wrong but they arent dry what could you put on them?

I was unsure if some products on the market would seal in the moisture and lead to mould etc further down the line
Was the plaster still in date ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back