plaster finish on walls.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can anyone tell us what we can use as a decorative finish on new plaster board. We used to paint on thin Artex, which gave us a light textured finish, then paint over this. It gives a rather nice low level texture and the walls look less smooth. We are a new build with plasterboard finish. We want to create an old look on the walls.
artex seems to be no longer available so ?
We dont want it to crumble off either.
Any suggestions?
Selfbuild. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Please can anyone tell us what we can use as a decorative finish on new plaster board. We used to paint on thin Artex, which gave us a light textured finish, then paint over this. It gives a rather nice low level texture and the walls look less smooth. We are a new build with plasterboard finish. We want to create an old look on the walls.
artex seems to be no longer available so ?

Although i wouldn't have it in my house nowadays,, you can still buy bags of Artex. It is readily available in most B.Q sheds, probably in other sheds too.

Sponsored Links
Remember you've got to sell it one day. You won't get any Brownie points for Artexing the walls. Just paint it.

an older look other than artex would be to paint the house dark beige, dark brown or gloss whole walls with bottle green paint, or clad them with 8x4 sheets of ply that look like 'unreal' wood.

On a new build mate this is going to look aweful in my opinion, but then again what do I know?

A nicely trowelled base coat plaster may give the look your after; Bonding plaster is a bit soft so Hardwall would be better but I’ve never tried it over plasterboard :confused:

You could use that nice Polycell paint on textured coating but frankly it won’t do any more to enhance the value of your new build than Artex! :LOL:

Thanks for replies on wall finishes. Thought I was asking professional advice. Some , yes. Is this a man thing? :eek:
We are creating 14th century farmhouse with hight tech underneath. It is a slight texture not high relief or 20th century. Believe me it looks excellent. :rolleyes:
The B&Q stuff may have to do or we will try the plaster. The last time I used B&Q Artex it was like powder...Did I mix it incorrectly do you think?
We have no intention of selling our house on.
Regards to all , selfbuilder Scotland.

dont tell any body but you can get a decent texture using dry wall addy,needs to be mixed well an spread in under a hour,but will lace back (low texture)like a good un.

dont tell any body but you can get a decent texture using dry wall addy,needs to be mixed well an spread in under a hour,but will lace back (low texture)like a good un.

A friend of mine has a kitchen in a converted granary barn attached to a farmhouse - we plastered the walls and ceiling (between beams) with bonding plaster, which gave a regular but slightly rough "aged" look. Almost entirely unlike a traditional lime plaster finish, but looks fairly in keeping.

Quite a lot of that was over plasterboard, but you can't see where.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back