plaster fire surrounds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have ripped out a badly damaged tiled fireplace to the builders opening, going to pick and point the stonework and put in a granite hearth. The fire surround which is currently up for debate on what we use may be plaster.

In a local fireplace shop near me they had a fancy ornate 3 piece plaster surround that has been in the shop and not sold for 15 years! labelled at £750 plus VAT. The guy said hed discount it as he had it ages and said about £700 including VAT. Plaster fire surrounds are a totally new concept to me so ive quickly searched the net when Ive got home and found they appear to be anything from £60/70 to about £200ish, certainly not £750.

Are there much in the way of different types or is a plaster fire surround pretty much a plaster fire surround. The one in the shop we looked at we were told was a sort of fibre reinforced plaster and when knocked it almost sounds like a composite, its distressed and looks the part but im not sure if this is different to the ones on the net which are much cheaper. Will they be reinforced etc or will they be pure plaster? pure plaster would be to vulnerable wouldnt it?

My local shop is run by a couple of older guys and they have a lot of very old stock lying about as they have run the place for about 30 years so I dont think they are trying to rip me off more im wondering if maybe plaster fireplaces were expensive 15-20 years ago and now they are out of touch with the current pricing as they sell mainly granite and timber.

One other quite question, the surround will be about 400mm above our wood burner, any problem with it getting hot and burning off? Last house we had a modern inset Morso 5060 and the plasterboard came right to the top of the metal facing round the stove and used to burn the emulsion paint off the wall over time back to bare plasterboard!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
400mm Plaster Fire Surround. Wood Burner = Bad combination. Id suggest if you really wanted to do that would be the line the inside of the chimney with fire cement. As for the plaster surround yes it will be reinforced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back