Sanding plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have bought my first house, and i am new to all these DIY, so your help will be much appricated!

We have just had an old fire place taken out and replaced with a wall mounted one. We had this done by a professional, who skimmed and plastered the wall around it, as the old fire place was a brick surround.

The job i have got to do is sand down the plaster around it (which he has skimmed), as he said if he had to do it, we would have to pay for another days labour.

So the 3 questions i have.....

What is the best way to go about this? Do i use a hand sander, or just use a block and sand paper?

What am i achieving, smooth surface, or an even surface?

When i paint onto the plaster will it show the uneven surface if i just make it smooth? as it seem hard to make it even!

I am just unsure on what i need to do, to get the best finish for painting??

ANYONE GIVE ADVICE?

Thanks,
Andy

Sponsored Links
3 questions i have.....

What is the best way to go about this? Do i use a hand sander, or just use a block and sand paper?

What am i achieving, smooth surface, or an even surface?

When i paint onto the plaster will it show the uneven surface if i just make it smooth? as it seem hard to make it even!

Hi Andy Diy and welcome to the forum.In response to your questions.

Either method of sanding would be ok for the job,although on a small area,a block and sandpaper would do fine. A "used"piece of 100 grit sandpaper works ok.If it's too rough,it tears the plaster.

You would be achieving a smoother finish.It would take more than sandpaper to make an uneven surface "even".

An "uneven" surface will not look any different when painted because you have made it smooth by sanding.A rough "even" surface would......Why did the plasterer not do a proper job in the first place? I think you will need a little bit of remedial work done to the wall first before you paint, to get the best results.

Roughcaster.

roughcaster, thanks alot for answering my questions!

I have gone ahead and hand sanded for a few hours to make all the surface smooth. Will see how abit of paint takes to it tomorrow night, might need a coat of primer.

Thanks again.

The guy was a cowboy. There should have been no reason whatsoever to sand down anything that a tradesman 'makes good'.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back