Plastering on plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

3 weeks ago I had a room plastered by a guy who said he could make it smooth enough for painting using only two layers of backing plaster.

It's not smooth enough; there are trowel marks, some bubbles, lots of small holes in places and small gaps between wall and ceiling. It is a thick layer [about 20mm in places] due to uneven 100yr old brickwork.

I would like a smooth layer to paint on but I don't know how to proceed. Should I scrape / sand it, and fill the holes? Should I throw on another layer of finishing plaster?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Get someone to skim it. Why muck about?

Have you mist coated it, do that first and see what it looks like after 2/3 coats of MATT emulsion diluted with water.

If there are only patches then some easy fill could sort it out.

its a c**t when some one rips you off m8te hope you didnt pay loads get a finish with two coats of backing plaster WTF get it ready for skiming more like get a plasterer to skim it over was you ther when he done the work and if you see him pva the walls.
is it sound no cracks or blown plaster
if your looking for a plasterer ill sort it for you m8te if you get the muilti finish/PVA ill skim the foom out soo you can paint it
jon .............. pm me

Sponsored Links
Thx for all the great replies.

Haven't paid a penny yet.

I saw him PVA it.

I'll have him skim it, if he can guarantee a smooth finish. If not, i'll find someone else.

Before i have him do anything, i'd like to make sure...

Should i have the bonding keyed?
The bonding has been up for a while now, although i believe it's still not dry in the thickest places. Should i wait?
After finishing, should PVA or emulsion be used prior to painting?

thx

DONT pva before painting, i was under the impression that you were not happy with the finish, ie multi finish, bonding looks rough but hard to say without seeing. Just mist coat 2 or 3 times before two solid coats of your chosen colour.

I'll have him skim it, if he can guarantee a smooth finish. If not, i'll find someone else.
plaster a whole room with backing coat and get a good enough finish for painting? ive never heard such a thing, ok its possible to trowel up bonding so its smooth but a whole room? just attempting to do so suggest to me hes no spread, dont let him do anymore work after attempting that, any chance of showing us some pics?
oh btw it was back to bare brick i take it when he gave it the 2 undercoats?

dont even pay him m8te if he has said that is the finish **** him off and get a reel spread in to skimm the room 2 coat finish plaster not backing muilti finish just the thing you need for the job

ill skim the room out for £260 plus mats and ill mist coat it too PM ME m8te

Thanks for all the replies, advice and offers.

Yes, it was down to bare bricks.

I'm gonna get someone else to skim it; then on with the painting :)

You all saved me a lot of time scraping, retouching, etc etc

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back