What's this on my wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First time poster and proud new owner of 'a bit of a project'. I have the feeling I might frequent these forums quite regularly from here on...

We are currently doing up the first of three bedrooms in our 1960s house. We had someone in to plaster over the Artex ceilings and they have done a great job.

We are now looking at the walls, which were covered in very badly fitted wallpaper. After stripping off this and another three layers with rather interesting patterns, we steamed off the last paper backing, expecting to find a layer of plaster. Based on its condition we were then planning on either spot repairing with a product like Polyfilla plaster repair, giving skimming it ourselves a go, or, if it looked too cratered, biting the bullet and have someone do it for us.

What we found however is a light blue, smooth finish layer on top of a red-pink (not plaster-pink) layer, which in turn is on top of a chalky white, thick base layer (I would think this is gypsum?). The pink and red layers are blended into each other. They don't feel like plaster to me and attach to the wall very well. I stripped some of it off at a damaged bit of wall - the stripped off bits have a similar feel to them like a thick bit of gloss paint, except that they are more 'rubbery' (i.e. they dont crack when you bend them). They become a bit gloopy and sticky when being subjected to a wallpaper steamer for a bit too long.

It looks like the blue layer on top was used to smooth out the pink layer underneath - there are places where the pink shines through completely and others where the blue one is forming a thicker layer on top. Together, the layers are probably about a mm thick on average. We actually found 'April 1988' written on one bit of the layers, so at least we can exactly date the mystery layer! :D

The overall finish of these layers is actually very nice and smooth - in an ideal world I'd like to just repair a few cracks and holes (the previous owners did not believe in doorstops, so there are a few handle-shaped ones), sand the entire walls, put on a layer or two of matt white emulsion and eventually paint over in our colours of choice. For that I would like to know though what exactly I'm looking at, whether it would need a mist coat, whether it would survive sanding etc. - any insights would be much appreciated!

I have attached photos of the layers (they look more rough and uneven than they are because of the two colours), as well as one of the damaged patch where I started poking about a bit.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Might be Distemper used until the 50s before emusion paints arrived. The 1988 is perhaps the date somebody re-papered over it.

Distemper (a form of whitewash) is mainly chalk bound with a glue it usually dissolves when soaked,so cannot be cleaned there were also oil bound Distempers that were to some extent washable.

Sounds like the last white layer is breaking down and becoming powdery.
Best bet will be to stabilize it with something like Zinsser Gardz, then cover with heavy lining paper before painting or papering.

Ugh.. I had a feeling that it's no good sign that the stuff started becoming smeary when wet.

I'm new and clueless when it comes to these things, so apologies if I'm asking very obvious things:

- You mention Zinsser Gardz to seal in and stabilise the wall. Do you mean applying it to the wall as it is at the moment, or would you recommend washing/scraping/steaming off the distemper layers beforehand?

- If I have to get rid of the distemper layers, what would be the least destructive way of doing this?

- If I can put on the stabilising layer onto the wall as-is, how clean do I have to get it beforehand and how do I do this given that the distemper would just start smearing all over the place? Given that the wallpaper came off quite well, could I sand the walls instead of washing them and afterwards wipe them off as dry as possible to get rid of wallpaper paste etc?

- Also if I can stabilise the wall as-is, could I not afterwards repair the cracks and holes and then paint with emulsion? I'm hesitant to hang lining paper over something that looks like it could give me a smooth finish (relatively) easily.

Thanks for your help!

The Zinsser is designed to soak into and stablise the chalky residue so a wipe over with a damp sponge to remove any really loose stuff first should be all you need.

If it ends up smooth enough by all means just paint :D

http://www.zinsseruk.com/product/gardz/

Sponsored Links
Sounds not too bad after all.. soo, would the plan (and the right succession) be:

1. Sand down any proud bits (there's a few repairs in places that have a bit of a bulge)

2. Wipe everything with damp sponge, wait for it to dry.

3. Coat with Zinsser Gardz

4. Repair holes and cracks

If all looks nice and smooth, then:

5. Paint with matt white emulsion

6. Repeat 5 if colour shines through

7. Put on paint of choice

?

I was particularly wondering whether I should first repair and then coat, or first coat and then repair.

If you have holes or cracks and the void is free of Distemper deposits I would tend to fill and sand first. That way you will have an even absorbtion over the whole surface when you seal and paint.

As always manufactures instructions never quite cover the situation that you have :D but this is what they say about damaged drywall (plasterboard to us on this side of the pond)

Cut away loose or torn drywall facing
paper with a razor or sand back with 80-grit paper until a
sound area is reached. If drywall is gouged, remove loose
pieces of gypsum core. Skim coated or spackled areas
should be sanded smooth using 100 grit sandpaper. Drying
Time –Dries to touch in 30 minutes. Porous surfaces that
have been sealed with Gardz are ready for finish coating
or wallpapering after 3 hours.
Top coating / Wallpapering– When dry, Gardz may be top
coated with any standard architectural water-based or
solvent-based primer or topcoat paint. Gardz is
compatible with all types of joint compounds and spackling
pastes and any texture or popcorn finish may be applied
over it. Although wallpaper may be installed directly over
any surface that has been coated with Gardz, some types
of wallpaper and translucent wallcoverings may require an
additional coat of an opaque primer.

Thankyou! We are now proud owners of a bucket of Gardz. Horrible man-flu incapacitated me for most of the weekend, but I will report back on how we got on once we get started!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back