Damage to plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was taking layers and layers, and more layers of wallpaper from my bathroom and whilst removing it have dug into the plaster behind. I was planning to paint the room but would need these fixed. Would a plasterer be able to skim over the areas (the damage is in relatively small areas on various parts of the wall) or could I use a filler and sand it? Don't really want to waste a plasterers time if it is a small job. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSC_0000068.jpg
    DSC_0000068.jpg
    479.3 KB · Views: 96
Sponsored Links
Pva then use filler and sand.
it would be simple to skim the wall but why?

Pva then use filler and sand.
it would be simple to skim the wall but why?

Why use PVA first?

Sorry, not trying to be combative. I am a decorator and have never needed to use PVA when using thin coats of filler over plaster.

I do however groan when I find traces of PVA on walls that I am sanding. I recently worked in a house where the previously emulsioned walls had new cable chases. The electricians had filled the cable chases with bonding. The plasterers, faced with 2 inch chases applied 14 inches of PVA and then 8 inches of finish coat.

As I started sanding their skim coat the PVA started to gum up and rip the outer edges of the skim coat. I ended up having to feather their chases with filler and then sand that back.

DIY'ers are not decorators (neither am i), and to keep it simple by taking up suction on what looks like raw plaster then tacky Pva will do the trick -this is so that they will get it right first time.

Sponsored Links
DIY'ers are not decorators (neither am i), and to keep it simple by taking up suction on what looks like raw plaster then tacky Pva will do the trick -this is so that they will get it right first time.

I don't understand that post, can you rewrite it or explain what you mean?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back