Renovating bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to renovate my bathroom. Currently (from the previous owners) the whole bathroom is tiled (tile over oil - 2 layers of tile!!) with plaster behind. I intend to strip the tiles off (both layers). Question....

I am going for tiled walls in the shower area, behind the sink and around the bath, and then painting the rest of the room.

Assuming the plaster is in good condition (hopefully) am I best to;

• Leave the old plaster and get a fresh skim across the whole room, and then tile/paint the relevant areas or
  • Knock the plaster back to breeze block and then dot & dab plasterboard
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am about to renovate my bathroom. Currently (from the previous owners) the whole bathroom is tiled (tile over oil - 2 layers of tile!!) with plaster behind. I intend to strip the tiles off (both layers). Question....

I am going for tiled walls in the shower area, behind the sink and around the bath, and then painting the rest of the room.

Assuming the plaster is in good condition (hopefully) am I best to;

• Leave the old plaster and get a fresh skim across the whole room, and then tile/paint the relevant areas or
  • Knock the plaster back to breeze block and then dot & dab plasterboard
Thanks

If it is plaster under your tiles you may be better going back to brick in certainly the shower area.
D&D plaster board in this shower area is not a good solution.
Render or something like tile backer board would be better.

Thanks. I think if I start knocking the plaster off it will all end up coming off based on experience in other rooms. I was intending to dot and dab with aqua board of that is the case. Would that work. The brickwork is actually breeze block rather than standard red brick.

Sponsored Links
I was intending to dot and dab with aqua board of that is the case. Would that work. The brickwork is actually breeze block rather than standard red brick.

I'm not sure you can D&D aqua board, I think manual fixings are preferred.
You would need to read the instructions with it.
I've not done a wet area in a bathroom yet, so advice more on theory!
I don't think you would want to skim it either before tiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back